Part Writing Question

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

djdillyc
Operating System: Mac

Post by djdillyc » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:00 pm

Hello,

I am working on a part writing exercise. I've added some NCTs and now I need to write a suspension somewhere. But I am stuck where to add the suspension. I also don't know if I added the NCTs correctly.

Here is what I have: https://imgur.com/a/pDjIGN0

Thanks!

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:54 pm

Honestly, Music Lessons are your best bet.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:17 pm

Maybe ask in the appropriate (non-Finale) Facebook group.

Nick Mazuk
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Nick Mazuk » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:28 pm

So yeah, this is more of a music theory / composition topic. So for the future, it would be best to consult another forum or Facebook group for this. But for now, here are some thoughts.

1. All your NCT are correctly labeled, though a few chords are labeled/written incorrectly. For instance, your VI should have a C on top, not a B. As it's written, you have a chord that's not typical for this style of music (F, A, B)
2. Measure 3: Your top two voices are almost too far apart. 1 octave is fine, but it's close to being too much. Don't need to change anything, just keep it in mind.

And if this is homework, don't read this third idea. Try something for the suspension first—even if it's wrong. Then ask for help. We learn best by trying and making mistakes.

But in case this isn't homework, here's an idea:

3. For the suspension, the easiest place that I can see is to make the soprano line at the end B A G#. Move to an A on beat 4 creating a ii(dim 6/5), and suspend the A into the last chord to create a V 4-3. So the A would resolve to a G# on beat 2.
Nick