Linked Parts

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Taz
Finale Version: Finale 26.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by Taz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:23 pm

Reading the manual, it says, more or less, "After generating parts from the score, any change to the score will be reflected in the individual parts". If I'm wrong, stop reading and let me know.

SO, I created a small 2 measure score, calling it " Link test 1" and extracted the parts "Link Test - Alto" and "Link test tenor 1"
no problem so far.
Link Test - Tenor Sax.musx
Link Test - Alto Sax.musx
Link Test.musx
Then, in the score I added one note to the tenor part, saved the file and opened the Tenor part....
No change to the Tenor part , so my question is "Huh ?"

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:40 pm

It looks like you have extracted these 2 parts, as separate documents (the "old" method). For that reason, there is no dynamic interaction between the score and these parts. You have 3 independent files.
The idea of linked parts is that score and parts are all in one file. In this case, changing something in the score will be reproduced in the part.
All the parts, when created, will be accessible via the Document menu -> Edit Part. You can make the edits you want in the score and in these linked parts, all in this one file.
From this unique file, you can print the score and any/all of the parts (or save them as pdf files).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua