Adding a staff for organ pedal.

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

skippyrosa
Finale Version: PrintMusic2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by skippyrosa » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:59 pm

I have many piano pieces that I want to "convert" to organ pieces with a staff for the Pedal. So I go to the Staff icon and I click on NEW STAVES. Then I'm in the Score Manager. I already have one Bass Staff so I will just add another Bass Clef for the Organ Pedal. For abbreviation, I type in B.C. which is ridiculous, as I have never seen an abbreviation in Organ music. So now I am ready to ADD the new Staff. My choices are
HELP which sends me to the manual online. Another choice is "Customize View" which says "Name, Record, Mute & Solo" -- This won't ADD the new staff that I need for the PEDAL. My only other choice is the BIG X in the corner. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO PLACE TO CLICK "APPLY" or "DONE" so I click on the BIG X and I'm back where I started. I have emailed the HELP people at Print Music, and I've gone to YOUTUBE. But I can't ADD A NEW STAFF so that I have THREE STAVES for the Treble, the Bass (LEFT Hand) and the BASS for the Pedals. How can i get the third stave?? Thanks.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:10 am

If memory serves, I believe there is a 3-staff organ template already set up. You could copy your two staff music into it, and go from there.

If you go to the Score Manger, and Add Instrument > Blank Staff, and it shows in the Staff Manager, you’re done. There is no OK or anything to confirm. You can also name (or not) the staff in SM. You can assign it the bass clef, either there, or back in the score.

You really need to go through the tutorials. Especially Tutorial #5, Working with Scores and Parts.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:18 pm

I see that that PrintMusic2014 is the program in question here. What options are available there?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:23 pm

In this case, the same options as Finale, I think. (Possibly not the template. But certainly the ability to add one.)

https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Pri ... %7C_____14
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:29 pm

Then Piano can be changed to Organ in the Score manager. In Finale, there's Organ and Organ 2 Staff. Choosing Organ adds the bass staff for the pedal.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."