Spacing for coda system in parts

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BlackmonJoe
Finale Version: 2017
Operating System: Windows

Post by BlackmonJoe » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:30 am

I searched the forum but didn't see this issue addressed. It's probably very simple for someone familiar with Finale.

I'm writing a saxophone quartet. There is a coda shows and it shows as a separate system in the score. In the parts it shows with no space. Like there is the DC al coda measure then the Coda is right next to it. How do you insert space in the parts??

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:53 am

Just as a WAG, take a look with the Page Setup tool. Does the coda show up as a separate system with its own handles, even though it’s on the same line as the first system?

If it is, you can drag the handle over, to create the space.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

BlackmonJoe

Post by BlackmonJoe » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:23 am

miker wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:53 am
Just as a WAG, take a look with the Page Setup tool. Does the coda show up as a separate system with its own handles, even though it’s on the same line as the first system?

If it is, you can drag the handle over, to create the space.
The coda shows up as a separate system on the score but not the parts. I'll check the page setup when I get back to it tonight and let you know. Thanks

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Unfortunately, the plugin used to create the separate systems in the score is not available in linked parts, so you will have to make the necessary adjustments that the plugin automates manually. It's doable. If the parts are basically the same in layout, once you create the setup for the Coda in one part, you can use Jari's plugin "Copy Part Layout" to duplicate the setup in the other parts.

This assumes you used the plugin in the score. If not, then you do in the parts whatever you did in the score. The plugin is not needed to do this. It just automates things. If you extract the parts first, then you can use the plugin in the extracted parts.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

BlackmonJoe

Post by BlackmonJoe » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:06 pm

zuill wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:02 pm
Unfortunately, the plugin used to create the separate systems in the score is not available in linked parts, so you will have to make the necessary adjustments that the plugin automates manually. It's doable. If the parts are basically the same in layout, once you create the setup for the Coda in one part, you can use Jari's plugin "Copy Part Layout" to duplicate the setup in the other parts.

This assumes you used the plugin in the score. If not, then you do in the parts whatever you did in the score. The plugin is not needed to do this. It just automates things. If you extract the parts first, then you can use the plugin in the extracted parts.

Zuill
That's essentially what I ended up doing. Kind of a combination of what you and the gentleman above said. Thank you both.

poestre
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by poestre » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:33 pm

Would anyone be willing to go through some steps on how to do this manually? I have tried dragging measures around, but things go crazy when I try that and I can't figure out how to accomplish this. The plug-in is so amazing and works perfectly in the score. I hope it can someday apply to the parts as well!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:54 pm

poestre wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:33 pm
Would anyone be willing to go through some steps on how to do this manually? I have tried dragging measures around, but things go crazy when I try that and I can't figure out how to accomplish this. The plug-in is so amazing and works perfectly in the score. I hope it can someday apply to the parts as well!
poestre,

1) Rather than “dragging measures around” I suggest that you use the dialog box Edit System Margins, where the layout is set precisely in numbers.

2) An idea:
Extract one of the parts.
The extracted part will be a separate Finale document.
You can open this separate document, and in this separate document the part will be the document’s “Score”.
This means that you can run the Create Coda System plug-in on the separate, extracted part document.
You can study what the plug-in has done, and copy the layout to the linked part.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

poestre
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by poestre » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:18 am

Moderator Thomsen,

Thank you for: (1) An amazingly quick response (2) An excellent suggestion to use the dialog box instead of dragging (3) A now obvious, but at the time unable to think of idea of copying/pasting from a document that was correct and (4) the ingenious idea to use extracted parts thus creating another "score" to use the plug-in. Expert knowledge, succinctly stated. I am so appreciative!

Best,
Paul