How to... 3 issues

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue May 12, 2020 7:56 pm

Lycant wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:29 pm
… And what if I want to display tempo mark in just a single part at a certain point? because they've explained me how to do it in multiple parts by using category designer, but then it always display it, I need that just some time, not always
If I understand you correctly, you are talking about a case where only one single part changes its tempo, while all the other parts continue at an un-changed tempo, right?

You could create a custom expression category for that particular tempo mark only.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Lycant
Finale Version: 2019
Operating System: Windows

Post by Lycant » Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:56 pm
Lycant wrote:
… And what if I want to display tempo mark in just a single part at a certain point? because they've explained me how to do it in multiple parts by using category designer, but then it always display it, I need that just some time, not always
If I understand you correctly, you are talking about a case where only one single part changes its tempo, while all the other parts continue at an un-changed tempo, right?

You could create a custom expression category for that particular tempo mark only.
Nothing... I've created the new category, but when I edit that, it edits the original too... at the same time... they're still linked someway...

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue May 12, 2020 10:10 pm

Are you creating a new expression in that new category?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Tue May 12, 2020 11:11 pm

If it is what you want, you can have an expression display in a part only. In the score, right click on the handle of the expression, uncheck "Show". Then select "Unlink in All Parts". Go in the part, and check "Show'. The Tempo expression will only be visible in that part.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed May 13, 2020 2:14 am

I would just copy it to the Miscellaneous category.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed May 13, 2020 5:05 am

Lycant wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 pm
Peter Thomsen wrote:
Lycant wrote:

Nothing... I've created the new category, but when I edit that, it edits the original too... at the same time... they're still linked someway...
If I understand you correctly, you are not editing the new category itself, but rather editing the new category’s Score List, right?
And unfortunately both the new category and the old (Tempo Mark) category use the same Score List, right?

Two ideas:

1) The new category could use another Score List than the old (Tempo Mark) category.
Example: use Score List 1 in the old Tempo Mark category, and use Score List 2 in the new category.

2) You create a new category by duplicating an existing category.
If you duplicate the Tempo Mark category, then you get a new category of the {Score List} type.
But if you instead duplicate e. g. the Technique Text category, then you get a new category of the {no Score List} type.
Categories of the {no Score List} type do not have a Score List.
Instead, each instance of an expression can have its own - independent - Assignment List.
And you can have as many Assignment Lists as you like.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Lycant
Finale Version: 2019

Post by Lycant » Wed May 13, 2020 3:01 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:05 am
Lycant wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 pm
Peter Thomsen wrote:

If I understand you correctly, you are not editing the new category itself, but rather editing the new category’s Score List, right?
And unfortunately both the new category and the old (Tempo Mark) category use the same Score List, right?

Two ideas:

1) The new category could use another Score List than the old (Tempo Mark) category.
Example: use Score List 1 in the old Tempo Mark category, and use Score List 2 in the new category.

2) You create a new category by duplicating an existing category.
If you duplicate the Tempo Mark category, then you get a new category of the {Score List} type.
But if you instead duplicate e. g. the Technique Text category, then you get a new category of the {no Score List} type.
Categories of the {no Score List} type do not have a Score List.
Instead, each instance of an expression can have its own - independent - Assignment List.
And you can have as many Assignment Lists as you like.
Yes!!! That's exactly what I needed. Apparently all three methods works. Even that one about unchecking ''show'' (also I tried that yesterday but it didn't work... probably because I didn't follow in order all the passages.