Text block font problem

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sadoji
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by sadoji » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:15 pm

Hi all,

I'm using Finale 25.5, which I am new to (recently upgraded from 2009 (!) - long story...). I'm not exactly a beginner at Finale but my recent upgrade has me feeling like one, and I'm pretty sure my question is fairly basic.

Here goes:

I'm trying to set up a Template for Lead Sheets, and I'm having trouble with the title font. I'm trying to change from the default font (in this case Broadway Copyist) to something else

I went to Document Settings and changed the font for text blocks, but when I enter text (either by typing in the score or via the Score Manager/File Info menu), the title still appears in the original font, even though when I go to the Text dropdown menu, a checkmark appears beside my chosen font.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? I've looked but can't seem to find where to set up these sorts of preferences. Is there somewhere that you can specify the font size (or % enlargement) of the title text block (independently of other text blocks), or indeed the font itself (again, independent)? I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in the manual.

Any input on this would be helpful - thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:53 pm

If you look closely in
Document Options > Fonts > Text > Text Block*
you will see an asterisk after Text Block:
Text Block*

This asterisk means that a Text Block font change in the Document Options will only affect new text blocks created after the font change.
Already existing text blocks will not be affected.

This is by design, and what users have requested.

To change the font in an already existing text block, switch to the Text Tool, and drag-select the text block handle.
Then, go to
Text menu > Edit Text…

You get to the window Edit Text.
Select all the text (= Command-A), and use the Text menu to change the font:
Text menu > Font > …
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

sadoji

Post by sadoji » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:49 pm

Thank for your reply, Peter,

Ok, that all makes sense. I see now that if I create a brand new text block (either by typing in directly or using Score Manager-File Info), the text appears in my desired font. So if I'm looking to set up a template with a new font for the text blocks, I need to start with a document that has no preexisting text blocks, or delete and re-enter those text blocks manually, correct? I'm concerned mostly with those text blocks that are used as "inserts" (Title, composer, arranger, etc)

Is there a way to preset the font size for the title independently of the other text blocks? Let's say the font for text blocks is set to Times New Roman 12pt. What determines the size of the title text (which I obviously want to be bigger)? Is that something I have to just do manually once I've entered the title? And will that setting be saved with the template once I've removed the title? Also, if I want a font for the title that is different from all other text blocks, I also have to edit that manually, within that particular block, correct? And that setting will get saved in my template, even with the actual text removed (i.e. will be applied to whatever new title I use on subsequent scores)?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:16 pm

If you are using the Title placeholder for the title, the text size settting should be saved with the template, just as it is with the default files and templates included with Finale.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

sadoji

Post by sadoji » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:20 pm

Thank you, Zuill,

I think I’ve got it worked out!