Looking for drum sounds

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tsilar
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by tsilar » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:05 am

I've been using Finale for a long time, but I just do what I do on it, because I don't have the time to learn everything, most of which I will never need.

My problem is simple. I need 2 better drum sounds. High Hat and Snare.

Now for the elucidation.

A. The closed high hat sound on Aria is too metallic and tappy. Meanwhile, the SmartMusic SoftSynth one, while sounding better, has this scratchy crackly static sound on it that can't be got rid of.

B.The Snare Cross Stick on SmartMusic SoftSynth sounds like a wood block. And the Snare Cross Stick on Aria sounds more like a wood block. (Moreover, it sounds randomized in an ugly way from the git-go, when I haven't even randomized it.)

B2. I though I'd try replacing the Snare Cross Stick with a Snare Brush Hit. That might work for my needs even better.

But when I "edit Aria Player" and choose, "Brush Drum Kit," no Brush Hit or even Brush Stir shows up on the staff. All there is is the same Snare Drum, Snare Drum Ghost Stroke, Snare Drum Rim Shot, etc. Most of which now sound like a Brush Stir.

I cannot for the life of me find a Snare Brush Hit. All I get is a Brush Stir no matter what. I tried looking on "edit percussion maps." There is no Brush hit there either, and the "Snare Brush" option just gives me another stir. Anyhow, I can only sometimes figure out how to work "edit percussion maps." I got it to add a Snare Drum LH once. But how I did it, as Somerset Maugham said, "Once, only God and I knew, now only God knows". How are you supposed to remember all this stuff you only use once in a blue moon?

Boils down to
A. Where can I find a better "closed High Hat" sound? Do I have to buy a sound library? I'm not averse to buying one. But I am afraid a new library would be incompatible with my old old computer--Windows Vista.

I get the feeling that there are other sounds hidden away somewhere, right there on the version of Finale I have, but beats me how to access them.

B. Where can I find a better "Snare Cross Stick" sound?

C. Where is the Brush Hit located? It must be on Finale 2012 somewhere.

Oh, yeah, I'm using an old, old Finale 2012, never updated. And I am using whatever sounds came with that package and nothing more.

I'm not going to apologize for asking stupid questions stupidly. I'm not new. I just never learned what I never needed to learn. I am not a gearhead. But on the other hand I can understand anything explained to me, if it is explained properly.

Which means, if you please, Give Every. Single. Step. I mean, "Click here, click there, look for this thing which is located here, click there, type this in, click here, click "Finished." Open whatever. Click whatever." etc.

I know. Too much information. Well, if anybody feels like tackling the above anyhoo, I should be forever grateful.

C.

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by gogreen » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:05 pm

Have you considered Garritan Concert & Marching Band 2 sounds?
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

tsilar

Post by tsilar » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:32 pm

Sure, I'd consider anything. The questions are.

The songs I'm working on are Americana. They have no Americana songs, but I figured Jazz sounds would fit the bill. I'm not sure that a Concert band snare sound would work. But what do I know? How can I hear some samples of the sounds on that package?

Also, the bigger question is whether a new sound library will be compatible with my old Windows Vista operating system and Finale 2012 version.

Thoughts?

tsilar

Post by tsilar » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:32 pm

I mean "Americana sounds".

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:13 pm

"99Sounds" offers an ad-free VST plugin called Drum Machine that works in Finale, both x86 and x64. You get eight different editable drum kits. Sitala is yet another option.

If using a 32-bit version of Finale, Jun's LM-1 drum kit that simulates the venerable Linn Drum machine offers a rich and realistic collection of drum sounds.