half step mordant

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

yang
Operating System: Mac

Post by yang » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:44 pm

I wonder how to create a mordant on A that plays like A Bb A. The default is whole step. Thank you!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:41 pm

yang,

1) Are you using Mac Finale 2012?

2) Layout or playback?
yang wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:44 pm
…The default is whole step …
What is the key signature?

For me the standard practice is the scale step above, according to the key signature’s accidentals.

Example:
Key signature 1 flat (= Key of F Major) - means A Bb A (half step)
Key signature 1 sharp (= Key of G Major) - means A B A (whole step)
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 pm

Trill goes to the note above, mordent to the note below. If you're talking about a short trill, the key signature (scale) will partly determine the playback interval. However, if the next scale tone is a whole step above the note, then apply the trill articulation (squiggle), then create a new articulation for a flat (I choose the small flat character, not the normal size), and apply it to the same note. Position it above the trill squiggle, as you want it to affect the note above. If this is confusing, I'll create a sample file for you.

Zuill

P.S.: Here's a short demo of what can be done to override the scale (key signature) limitation. Flat above to forces a half step, Sharp above to force a whole step.

P.P.S.: Another file for Mordents (note below). The accidental goes below. Human Playback knows what to do.
Attachments
Short Trill Interval Alterations.musx
(100.27 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Mordent Interval Alterations.musx
(98.57 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

yang

Post by yang » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:43 pm

Thank you so much, as always!!!!
zuill wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 pm
Trill goes to the note above, mordent to the note below. If you're talking about a short trill, the key signature (scale) will partly determine the playback interval. However, if the next scale tone is a whole step above the note, then apply the trill articulation (squiggle), then create a new articulation for a flat (I choose the small flat character, not the normal size), and apply it to the same note. Position it above the trill squiggle, as you want it to affect the note above. If this is confusing, I'll create a sample file for you.

Zuill

P.S.: Here's a short demo of what can be done to override the scale (key signature) limitation. Flat above to forces a half step, Sharp above to force a whole step.

P.P.S.: Another file for Mordents (note below). The accidental goes below. Human Playback knows what to do.

yang

Post by yang » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:44 pm

Thank you very much!!
Peter Thomsen wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:41 pm
yang,

1) Are you using Mac Finale 2012?

2) Layout or playback?
yang wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:44 pm
…The default is whole step …
What is the key signature?

For me the standard practice is the scale step above, according to the key signature’s accidentals.

Example:
Key signature 1 flat (= Key of F Major) - means A Bb A (half step)
Key signature 1 sharp (= Key of G Major) - means A B A (whole step)