How to add just four clicks befoe the piece

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Jose_Luis
Finale Version: 2007

Post by Jose_Luis » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:46 pm

Sorry if this issue has been treated before, but still I cannot find my howto:

I need to put 4 metronome clicks in a previous measure befoer the piece, so that me and the group of players get ready.
I can add those clicks from the clicks and countoff button and menu, but then the clicks sound until the piece ends and are disturbing.
Anyway to have those four clicks only, just before the piece begins?

Thanks a lot

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:52 pm

The most common way is to add an extra staff with a percussion sound (woodblock, for instance). Insert 1 measure (stack) before the piece starts, and in that new percussion staff, enter 4 quarter notes.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:31 pm

The settings do allow for a Countoff without the clicks throughout. Just select Always for Countoff, but Never for Click. If you only want one measure, put 1 in the box for that. Now you'll have the 4 clicks and then they stop. If you need to export to audio, since the click doesn't export, you can use the option of adding a percussion staff. Since you will need to add an additional measure at the beginning for that to be useful, instead, you can just put a click in one of the existing staves for that bar, and then have the playback change to the original sound for that staff in bar 2.

So, there are several options available.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."