Generating/extracting parts

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

yang
Operating System: Mac

Post by yang » Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 pm

I'm trying to generating parts for my multi-instrument score and have several questions:

1. What's the difference between "extracting parts" (under the File dropdown menu) and "generating parts" (under Document->Manage Parts)? It seems to do the same thing but I just want to make sure.

2. I selected "Create Multimeasure Rests" under Part Creation Preferences. But the multi measurerests were not created after I generated the parts.

3. There's no title/composer/instrument information displayed on the page after generating the parts.

Help! Thank you!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon May 03, 2021 10:06 pm

1. In the new paradigm, parts can only be extracted once they're generated. So, generate first. If you are only going to print, then there usually isn't a need to extract. For some complicated scenarios, extracting is needed as a workaround.

2. Not sure about MM rests. Maybe there aren't, any blank measures. We might need to see a file to examine. I usually uncheck the Document Options option to automatically update MM rets. this can interfere with parts that have special MM rests setup.

3. Again, we probably need to see how you set up the document as to why the information needed is not in the parts.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."