Merge scores in printmusic

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gorannil
Finale Version: printMusic
Operating System: Windows

Post by gorannil » Wed May 26, 2021 9:00 am

I have just bought Printmusic.
I am testing Finale (v26) at the same time.

I have scanned two pages frome a notebook --- lets call them Sc1.tiff and Sc2.tiff.
I have also cleaned these scans i Photoshop. They are well recognized in printmusic.

So now I have two Finale Files Sc1.musx and Sc2.musx. In Finale(v26) I can merge
these to one file say Sc1&Sc2.musx.

But I do not know if I even in any way possible in printmusic can get to
Sc1&Sc2.musx ??

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed May 26, 2021 2:06 pm

Maybe. Merging scores in the full Finale involves things like hiding cautionary key and time signature changes, which can't be done in PrintMusic. There were workarounds, though. I wrote a tutorial for PM2009, but there were some changes made to the program in the following years. I think you can still use it, although some of the commands may have changed their names.

Here is a link to the tutorial: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7umu5btmx2yl ... 9.pdf?dl=0

Let me know how it worked. In the long run, though, I suspect you will be a lot happier with the full Finale. It can do a lot more than PrintMusic, and it's being updated (more or less) while PM is still 2014, and is no longer being updated or supported.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

gorannil

Post by gorannil » Wed May 26, 2021 4:30 pm

I now see I can recognize both pages together from import tiff.
And that was what I wanted.

Yes Finale (soon v27) may be better but I WILL LOSE the
import Tiff. NOT SO GOOD.

I can upgrade smartScan lite but I can still not use it from within Finale v27 !!??

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed May 26, 2021 5:52 pm

My suggestion would be to upgrade to SmartScore Pro. Remember that, as a Finale owner, you get a 50% discount on the program, which brings it down to about $200. Not inexpensive, but if you plan to do a lot of this, it’s worth every penny. The big difference between the lite and pro versions is that with the pro, you correct just about all of the recognition errors in SmartScore, before you bring it into Finale.

If you can swing the expense, the full Finale and SmartScore pro is the way to go. (Although, now, I think I would wait until they release F27, due soon.)

If you were satisfied with the SmartScore Lite, you might want to look at Music to XML

https://www.musitek.com/music-to-xml.html

which will let you use it with Finale 27. You just do it as 2 or 3 easy steps, rather than doing it within Finale. But for an extra $100, I would definately go with the full SmartScore.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

gorannil

Post by gorannil » Thu May 27, 2021 5:20 am

I will soon upgrade to Finale v27.
Because I am now into beaming big time.
(any good finale tutorial on this topic ??)

But will I lose my PrintMusic license when I upgrade.
I will miss that import tiff from within finale.