Extracting partial score

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Scott V
Operating System: Mac

Post by Scott V » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:54 am

I want to extract the 11 drum/percussion parts together from a 28-part marching band score to create a Percussion score. Is that possible? How? Thanks!!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:19 am

Welcome to the forum!

1) What version of Finale are you using?
Generally it is seldom necessary to extract parts - since you can use the linked parts instead.
Finale has had linked parts sine Finale 2007.

2) Go to
Document menu > Manage Parts…
and create a new (linked) part.
Add to the new part all the 11 drum/percussion parts.
This linked part will be your Percussion score.
You can extract this new, linked part - if necessary.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Scott V

Post by Scott V » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:40 pm

Thank you! I'll try that. I was reading about Linked Parts but didn't understand it the way you described it. I thought it just meant that edits made in parts would also edit the score accordingly (which apparently doesn't happen). I think this is Finale 26, purchased in 2018, I think.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:14 pm

Scott V wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:40 pm
… I thought it just meant that edits made in parts would also edit the score accordingly (which apparently doesn't happen) …
Extracted parts are separate documents.
Edits do not “automatically” get transferred between separate documents (like e. g. from the score document to an extracted part).

Linked parts are “inside” the score document (the linked parts are not separate, individual documents).
Correct a wrong note in the score, and the wrong note is “automatically” corrected in the linked part.

To view a linked part:
Open the score document.
Document menu > Edit Part > …
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:23 pm

To add to Peter's explanation :
The reverse is not happening. By default, a modification in a part doesn't get transferred to the score. It will appear in orange in the score, a sign that the link is broken.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Scott V

Post by Scott V » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:14 pm

Thank you, Peter and Michel. I don't think I understand Linked Parts. If they are "inside the score," then they are just "the score," no? Or is it just that linking them will allow you to extract them as a group? That much makes sense. And "if you edit the score, it edits the part" makes sense if the parts haven't been extracted yet. It makes sense that edits to already-extracted parts don't affect the score (though that would be a great advantage). What I still don't get, then, is do edits in the score affect already-extracted Linked parts, or just pre-extracted Linked parts? Because if it's the latter, then Linking really has nothing to do with editing at all; only with being able to extract them as a group. Which means I completely misunderstood the online Finale User Manual.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:19 pm

Edits affect linked parts, not extracted parts. There are few reasons you would need to extract a part. One would be so that the receiver of the extracted part could play it back on there system. Another reason is that, in rare instances, there are edits to a linked part that can't easily be done when still linked. Once extracted, some more advanced edits might be able to be made. This is rare, but does exist. Since linked parts, I have not had a need to extract parts.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:30 pm

Extracted parts is the "old" method (still available). An extracted part is a separate file, and has for that reason no dynamic link with the score once it has been extracted from it.
The new method is to use Linked parts.
In the Document menu -> Manage Parts, you can generate parts.
They appear under the Document menu -> Edit Part.
As they still are incorporated into the score file, there is a dynamic link between score and parts.
By default :
1) Any modification to the score will appear in the parts
2) Modifications in a part won't appear in the score, but an orange color will indicate that something was done to the element in the part. The link is broken.
You can also hide an item in the score or in a part.

If you want a partial score, Document -> Manage Parts -> New Part. From the right column, put the appropriate staves in the middle one (the new part). Define its name using the button "Edit Part Name".
The new part will now appear under the Document menu -> Edit Part. In the new part, you can improve the layout, etc...
I hope this helps...
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua