Trouble with timpani

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Pat Fox
Finale Version: V27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by Pat Fox » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:30 am

Once again I need your help. Looking a score for Timpani. What does Tune D,A or Tune C,A. mean. and What does Change to C,A.
CG.jpeg
CG.jpeg (17.45 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
AG.jpeg
AG.jpeg (13.89 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:48 am

In this case there are two timpani, a bigger timpano for the range {lower F up to C}, and a smaller timpano for the range {Bb up to higher F}.
At the beginning of the piece the bigger timpano is tuned in A, and the smaller timpano is tuned in D, a fourth higher than the A.
Hence you will see only A’s and D’s in the beginning of the part.

Later, the D timpano is tuned down to C (= tuning in C, A).

Later again, the A is tuned down to G (= tuning in C, G).

Back in the 1800’s it took time to change the tuning of a timpano; the timpani player needed many rest measures to do so.
As a consequence the parts from that time contained many compromises where you did not get the true bass note from the timpani part (but you can be sure that the composer would have preferred the true bass note, if only it were possible!).

On a modern timpano it is easy to change the tuning via a pedal on the timpano; it only takes a very short time to do so.
Skilled players can even play (slow) melodies on timpani.

While a set of two timpani is common, a modern, “full” set of timpani is four timpani.
However, timpani are quite pricey; hence a “full” set of four timpani is not common.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Pat Fox

Post by Pat Fox » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:18 pm

I never realize how much a musician or conductor had to know about each instrument. I find it interesting. But how do I address this in Finale. Is there something that I have to do, or do I just write what I see on the sheet?

Pat Fox

Post by Pat Fox » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:30 pm

Please disregard that last question. It was a silly question from someone who just woke up.