Trill with flat, sharp, natural from Custom Line Tool not working on Finale 27?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

LiduinoPitombeira
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by LiduinoPitombeira » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:58 am

I updated to Finale 27 yesterday. Today I tried to include some trills (from custom line tool) in a new piano piece and they did not playback. I opened a previous piece, written in Finale 25, the trill there is working (trill with natural, flat, and sharp). I tried to match all the information from the dialog boxes but it still did not work. Then, I copied the bar from the old piece to the new one, the playback worked but the symbol was crazy: 'Ué'. I changed the symbol and the playback did not work anymore. Am I missing anything? Thanks

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:07 pm

The problem is the new font paradigm. It seems they forgot to consider how Human Playback works. It seems that the Beta testers missed the mark, or maybe MakeMusic didn't care. It seems getting the proper "look" was more important then playback.

Human Playback has playback linked to a certain font slot. The new font paradigm has moved the common symbols linked to HP to different slots. Thus, no playback. And, as you have discovered, the slot, when reverting to the old font, may give playback, but not the correct symbol.

Another issue that you will have is opening v27 files in v26. Good luck with that.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:53 pm

A recent reply from MakeMusic (found on MakeMusic’s own forum):

“We are aware of a problem with playback of some articulations and expressions in Finale v27, and I can provide some information and a workaround. You're right that there is a difference in behavior depending on the font you are using, such as Finale Maestro vs. Maestro. One of the new features in Finale v27 is support for SMuFL fonts https://www.finalemusic.com/blog/sneak- ... 1470399069. The default documents in Finale v27 were updated to use SMuFL fonts, although documents based on the legacy fonts are still available as well. Finale's Human Playback engine relies on the the characters used in articulations and expressions to play them correctly. Unfortunately, Human Playback does not recognize some SMuFL characters yet, and that includes the fermata articulation from Finale Maestro. We were aware of this issue when Finale v27 was being developed, and our developers are working to improve Human Playback in a maintenance update to version 27. While I don't have a specific timeline for these Human Playback improvements, I can tell you that they are in progress. You can read more details in Certain Expressions and Articulations Not Playing Back in Finale v27.0 https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... WyJL-UGITg.

In the meantime, the workaround I'd suggest is to create documents with a legacy font rather than SMuFL, in which case Human Playback will work as expected. You can refer to Creating Legacy Font Based Documents in Finale v27 https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... WyJL-UGITg. If you've already written a piece and it wouldn't be feasible to start over, you can copy/paste into the new legacy font-based document. Before copy/pasting, make sure to choose Edit > Edit Filter and deselect Articulations. This way you can copy everything except the articulations into the new document, so you'll only need to enter the articulations again.”
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:52 pm

If you've already written a piece and it wouldn't be feasible to start over, you can copy/paste into the new legacy font-based document.
Do they mean to say that Finale 27 won't open a file made with an earlier version and play it back correctly? Does it automatically force you to convert to the SMuFL Maestro? I'm guessing that copy and pasting into a new document will play havoc with formatting and who knows what else.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:37 pm

The more I read, the more it seems that the SMUFL “feature” may go down as the most poorly implemented in recent Finale history. And I really don’t even see why it’s even needed, at least, for most of us. If I need a special character, I can go into a font like Bravura and find it. Having 2800+ glyphs at my fingertips means nothing but confusion, when I only need a few.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:02 pm

It's the "Smurf" update. Am I Blue?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:03 pm

miker wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:37 pm
… … …And I really don’t even see why it’s even needed, at least, for most of us.… … …
I'm far from expert on the subject of fonts, but I suspect the more compatible the various professional music typesetting softwares are as far as such things are concerned the better for all users in the long run.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:38 am

Yes, and as someone has said, Dorico can now use Maestro. Personally, I don't need a treble clef with a 5 at the bottom, but perhaps someone does.