Guitar Bend won't work

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

JohnJSherry
Finale Version: 27.4.1.146
Operating System: Mac

Post by JohnJSherry » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:56 pm

There are a few places where I can't get the guitar bend to work. I click on Tools - Smart Shape - Guitar Bend and then I double click on the tab staff note and nothing happens. I've done it before but it's just not doing it now. The grace note on measure 32 is one example. I've tried rebooting but it still won't work. Must be something I might have forgot...

On another subject:
Is there a way to direct the default path when I want to open an existing document? I've created a new folder where most of my projects are and would like to get there more directly when I click on Open and Existing Document.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Europa.musx
(128.34 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:50 am

JohnJSherry wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:56 pm
… Is there a way to direct the default path when I want to open an existing document? I've created a new folder where most of my projects are and would like to get there more directly when I click on Open and Existing Document …
It can be done via a third party utility, like e. g. Default Folder.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:31 am

I must be missing something. I don't see a grace note or a bend in bar 32. Oh, I see you are saying that Finale won't apply a guitar bend. I'll check on that. However, what about the grace note. Where should it be?

Zuill

P.S.: I can apply Bends, so maybe I need more detail about where you want them.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:01 pm

After opening your document, I noticed that piano was selected as the playback sound. Pitch bends cannot be applied to piano. I changed the instrument to Steel Guitar (see measure #32 in the attached file), but you can select one of the electric guitars. The bends I added play back OK on my system. For some reason, sometimes the Bend Tool or Tab Slide Tool renders a more realistic guitar bend. In such instance, I use one of these options and hide the marking. To hide a Tab Slide marking, you must firstly drag it outside of the stave then right-click on it. Finale will play back a pitch bend as written. So writing guitar bend notation often requires modifying the HP settings.

BTW, when using a Garritan instrument, you may want to boost the volume of ARIA Player in VST Banks & Effects; since the default amount of headroom is ridiculously large. The latter causes no audio clipping, even set at 200.
Attachments
Europa (Edited).musx
(129.37 KiB) Downloaded 73 times