Tuplets? Triplets? They're Not Working.

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Harper
Finale Version: 2011
Operating System: Windows

Post by Harper » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:08 pm

I certainly don't think I know all there is about music theory, far from it. I barely know that which I use.
But I think I recall when I was a kid, getting taught that a triplet was three notes of a given value being played in the time that two notes of that same value would, were they not marked as triplets.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But given those assumptions I expected that when, in PrintMusic 2014, when I wanted to write two sets of quarter note triplets (each one should take up the time that two quarters would, were they not triplets, yes?) in a 4/4 measure that I would be able to.

No workee. I can get five of them in, then I get that "no you can't" tone, and when I click to put a junk note anywhere else, just to see how much time is left over, the program inserts an eighth rest in the remained of the measure.

So, am I wrong? Can I not write six quarters in four beats using the tuplet tool? If I can do it, how, please?

Thanks.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:36 pm

Of course you can. It wouldn't be much of a program if you couldn't. It all depends on how you enter the triplet.

Here is link to a tutorial on how I do it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/weehrytsb4x0w ... y.pdf?dl=0

I'm sure that others will weigh in with their preferred methods. They're all good.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 2.36.20 PM.jpg
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Alan Knapper
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Alan Knapper » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:55 pm

I know it's been a year now since this question was asked, but I had the same problem when I started: the tool button didn't want to work the way I thought it should. The suggestion I got was: place the first note, then hit the number "9" on your keyboard. That sets up the triplet bracket (have never had to do duples) and you go from there. It worked every time for me.