Chord Font replaces a tilde for an "m" for minor chords

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

HeartofTexas
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520
Operating System: Windows

Post by HeartofTexas » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:14 pm

Just began extracting parts for a big band piece which led me to finalize and learn about chord depiction in Finale. I am using the Jazz font for the score. Here are the current settings under Document Options:
Fonts: Lyrics: JazzText 12 plain
Text: JazzText 14 plain
Notation: Jazz 24 plain
Chord Symbol: JazzText 14 plain
Chord Suffix: JazzCord 14 fixed plain
Chord Alteration: Jazz 24 plain
Chord Fretboard: Seville 36 plain
The default font is Jazz 24 plain

While learning all of the places you can go to modify a chord appearance and size, I somehow lost the ability to show the lower case letter "m" in the chord descriptor. It has been replaced by a tilde or "~". So a G minor chord which used to look liek this
"Gm" now looks like this "G~". Finale is consistent as all of the minor chords now show a tilde instead of an "m".

Yes I could over write them with texts, but wondered what I might have changed to get this result. Extracting the parts yields the expected result of "Gm". I deleted all of the G~ chords memorized by Finale under Chord >> Edit Learned Chords, deleted the tilded G minor chord and reintroduced them only to get the same results, G minor with a tilde.

Any thoughts on how to reverse this unfortunate situation?

I did find a work-around, I added a dash between the G and the m giving me "G-m", but that while expedient, seems sloppy.

Thanks for your ideas,
Last edited by HeartofTexas on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 26.3.1.520; Win 10; GPO5

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:28 pm

I tried it with both Jazz Cord and Jazz Text. With Jazz Cord, it asked me to add the m to the suffixes, and I said yes. With Jazz Text, it went right in.

If you could post your doc here, we can have a look.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

HeartofTexas

Post by HeartofTexas » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:45 pm

I never got the question you refer to, asking to add the "m". Here's the first 2 pages, the guitar line shows what I am seeing, the substitution of "~" for "m". In measure 5, that should be a G minor 6 chord.
That Swingin Bosuns Mate Finale Forum Version.musx
Tilde sub'd for m for minor
(241.74 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

HeartofTexas

Post by HeartofTexas » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:46 pm

I should add that the chord depictions started in Times Roman 11 font, it was after I tried to convert them to match the Jazz font of the rest of the score that I began to see this character sub problem.