16th triplets

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:06 pm

I don't think the caret makes a difference.

It looks like with mouse entry you need to uncheck "Check for extra notes" in the Simple Entry Options to get that end-of-bar tuplet to work.
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (11.56 KiB) Viewed 2091 times

Hucbald
Finale Version: 27

Post by Hucbald » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:16 pm

Dear Miker,

I don't really understand what you mean by using simple entry garet? If you are asking whether or not I am in simple entry mode then the answer is yes.

Hucbald

Post by Hucbald » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:21 pm

motet wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:06 pm
I don't think the caret makes a difference.

It looks like with mouse entry you need to uncheck "Check for extra notes" in the Simple Entry Options to get that end-of-bar tuplet to work.
Dear Motet. You did it!!!!!

Thank you so much. You fixed it! Now I can continue doing my homework in good spirits. Does anyone know what the explanation is as to why I have to uncheck it for it to work? Also Motet I see you have multiple things unchecked in simple entry options. When everything is checked in my case. Do you have some advice on this?

Hucbald

Post by Hucbald » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:23 pm

My settings are attached in this picture. I think I know what Miker means now with entry caret being checked.
Attachments
finaleforum 18.PNG

motet

Post by motet » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:10 pm

Glad it's solved! It's a mystery why it would behave differently in this respect for mouse vs QWERTY entry. Yet another bug.

You might consider learning QWERTY (or AZERTY) entry--things will go much faster.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:57 pm

motet wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:10 pm
You might consider learning QWERTY (or AZERTY) entry--things will go much faster.
Agreed! Drop the mouse, and move slowly away from the computer...
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Hucbald

Post by Hucbald » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:15 pm

Hahaha. Noted! Miker when you say move away from your computer does that entail stopping using Finale all together or do you mean plugging the midi keyboard in and inserting notes via playing ?

Hucbald

Post by Hucbald » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:16 pm

motet wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:10 pm
Glad it's solved! It's a mystery why it would behave differently in this respect for mouse vs QWERTY entry. Yet another bug.

Is there a place one can report bugs?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:26 pm

Hucbald wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:15 pm
Hahaha. Noted! Miker when you say move away from your computer does that entail stopping using Finale all together or do you mean plugging the midi keyboard in and inserting notes via playing ?
No, that’s just a quote from old movies. Police saying, “Put down the gun, and back away from it slowly.”

You can report it at https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Use the Submit a Request tab at the top of the page. However, since this behavior has been complained about for (probably) twenty years, I wouldn’t look to them for any help. Do it my way, and you won’t have any problems.

If you like, we can do a Zoom call, and I’ll walk you through it.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Hucbald

Post by Hucbald » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:47 pm

Thank you Miker,

I'm currently trying to learn as much as I can from Azerty input and from musical keyboard input so I don't waste your time. If I reach the ceiling however and am stuck I won't hesitate. Than you for your kind offer. I'm kind of baffled that there are problems that finale wishes to ignore. I paid a hefty price for this program and didn't expect this. I chose Finale over Sibelius as I read online they are capable of doing the same things (though Finale is a bit harder to use at times) but that Finale really shines in the capabilities publishing was ( think the term is engraving?). So I thought heck yeah I'll chose Finale, might be a bit harder to get to learn but better engraving possibilities. Also Sibelius looks like a video game to me with all kinds of colors etc and I liked how finale just looks like slightly yellow paper as it's soft on the eyes. Now I'm a little disappointed.

Also is there like a donation or something I can participate in ? I would like to thank you and the other members who devote so much of their free time in this forum to help us all out.

Kind regards

motet

Post by motet » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:11 pm

You're right to be miffed by all the bugs, some of which are decades old. I would voice your complaint on the support ticket, if you filed one, the MakeMusic-run support forums, and perhaps Finale forums on Facebook or other social media. I suspect they don't have the manpower and/or talent to fix these things and need some infusion or capital from their investors to hire more people.

Hucbald

Post by Hucbald » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:25 pm

Hey Motet,

thanks for the tip. I have been using the speedy entry for the first time today and what is odd is that in the 30 min of using it finale has crashed thrice already. The screen freezes out of the blue and the mouse transforms to a loading symbol. The only solution I find is to restart the program altogether. Is this random or is there a known problem associated, to using speedy entry, that can be fixed?

motet

Post by motet » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:20 pm

I'm using an older version, but Finale very rarely crashes for me. It's possible that your finale.ini file has gotten corrupted. You might want to try this:

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

You will need to redo your preferences if you've changed anything, though.

Hucbald

Post by Hucbald » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:27 am

thank you motet. I tried it but it didn't fix the problem. It crashed so much that I noticed a pattern though. Whenever I have sheet music as a pdf opened in adobe and switch the screen from finale to adobe then finale crashes. Unless I am not in speedy entry when switching programs. Then nothing goes wrong. It's a weird workaround but so far no crashes using this system.