Note Duration

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

konradh
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2014a.v85
Operating System: Windows

Post by konradh » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:07 am

How do I change the duration of a note? I imported a melody from a sequencer, and I need to change a lot of durations. If I can understand how to do one, I can do all of them. In this example, there is an 1/8 tied to a dotted half for a total of 3 1/2 beats. I want to change it to a total of 2 1/2 beats, so I need an 1/8 tied to a 1/2. Is there a simple way to change it, or do I need to delete the tied notes and enter two new tied notes?

Since I am asking, I may need to change notes that are not tied (e.g., change a half to a quarter). Is there a shortcut for that, or is it also best to delete and re-enter?

THANKS!
Attachments
Duration.JPG
Duration.JPG (13.87 KiB) Viewed 956 times

konradh

Post by konradh » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:21 am

Maybe this wasn't the right way, but I found I could use the eraser on the second note in the tie, and then enter a new note and a rest. The new note would automatically tie. That is really easy. I was surprised I had to enter the rest manually, but it is certianly not hard.

Note: This is fundamentally different from my DAW which will not allow an edit on any tied note except the first one. Since the DAW is just thinking of this as one MIDI not with a certain duration, it make sense that it would not allow the edits on anything but the first note. To MIDI, there are not two tied notes--there is just one note with a specified on and off time.
Attachments
duration 2.JPG
duration 2.JPG (14.64 KiB) Viewed 953 times

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:14 pm

Why not overwrite the note with a half note then add the rest. In this manner, you will not need to use the eraser. I would also use the Note Position tool to move the whole note in layer 2 above the rest. The arrow keys will let you nudge the note with precision.

BTW, many good composers will disagree with the idea that the notation in the measure should appear visibly divisible; i.e. the A note should be tied to a 1/4 note that is tied to another 1/4 note, before the rest. Accomplished sight readers will find your construct perfectly fine, but a simply divisible measure accommodates readers at all levels. Authorities, like Gould, state that "Note-values sustained across a beat or half-bar must expose the beat structure of the bar" (p.166).

konradh

Post by konradh » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:48 pm

Djard, Thank you for the comprehensive answer and advice.