Best keyboard

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hucbald
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Hucbald » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:10 am

As Miker pointed out to me recently, Finale works best with a keyboard. I have a laptop so am considering buying a computer keyboard to put on top of my midi keyboard so I can work with the keyboard and midi keyboard simultaneously.

My question is:

- are there people here that use only the computer keyboard and what are the advantages / disadvantages?

-Also what specific computer keyboard do you recommend?

-In case of using keyboard plus midi board I have seen some people advocate the use of a separate number pad and putting it on the left for your left hand to use. Would you in that case still need the rest of the keyboard or is midi plus number pad enough?

-in case of using keyboard plus midi what is your setup? What are the advantages or disadvantages?

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:22 am

I use only the computer keyboard for all Finale entry and editing, including large operas &c. However, it's just my habit: I doubt that there would be any tangible advantages. It works; but so would a MIDI if that had become my habit. A serious pianist would probably be more comfortable using a MIDI, but there is probably no absolute, universal-for-everybody advantage to either (or any functioning) method.

I use the number pad on my desktop keyboard. On my MacBook I use the equivalent shortcuts eg Fn+Shift+Delete on my laptop = Clear on the number pad for deleting one note from a chord in Speedy Entry.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:49 pm

Hucbald wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:10 am
In case of using keyboard plus midi board I have seen some people advocate the use of a separate number pad and putting it on the left for your left hand to use. Would you in that case still need the rest of the keyboard or is midi plus number pad enough?
You need the entire keyboard.

A MIDI keyboard is an advantage especially for piano music because you can enter an entire chord at once.

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by ttw » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:16 am

I got a new computer (to celebrate my new shoulder) so I bought a new Logitech curved keyboard from Costco. It's wireless (I like these Eveready lithium batters for this type of work). It's very comfortable for Finale. (I got the cheap *70 or so one I think).

Hucbald
Finale Version: 27

Post by Hucbald » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:47 pm

how do you guys who use a midi and a regular keyboard place your boards? I cannot find anything to hold the computer keyboard in the air so I can use the midi board underneath it.

miaoshu
Finale Version: SongWriter

Post by miaoshu » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:37 am

I just got a Logitech K380 wireless keyboard, It's small, light, and very easy to use.

This keyboard could connect to up to three devices at once via Bluetooth and switch between them with the press of a button.

It only takes a few days to get used to, but once you do it's no problem whatsoever.

https://pctechtest.com/best-wireless-keyboards