azerty or querty

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hucbald
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Hucbald » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:29 am

Hello all,

In my country almost everyone uses azerty. But I think most of the world uses qwerty if I'm not mistaken. I want to buy a new computer keyboard to use along my midi board. Is querty or any other type better for ease of use in finale or is it all the same?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:15 am

I use a (French) Azerty with Finale for years, without problem.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:48 am

Hucbald wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:29 am
… I want to buy a new computer keyboard to use along my midi board. Is querty or any other type better for ease of use in finale or is it all the same?
There is no internal physical (hardware) difference between the two keyboards.
The only (small) difference (between the two keyboards) is the letters painted on the keys (which, however, may mean a small difference for the ease of use).
What makes a computer keyboard work in a specific way (e. g. as azerty), is a matter of the computer software (= the selected keyboard layout).

In the computer settings you can select another keyboard layout.
When a different keyboard layout is selected, the same (physical hardware) keyboard will produce different characters from the same keys.
Choosing a different keyboard layout can be an advantage when typing lyrics in a specific language - even if the painted letters (on the keys) no longer correspond to the characters produced.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996