MIDI keyboard input

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:11 pm

I'm running a Mac on Monterey 12.4 and Finale 27.2.0.142.

Sorry for this extremely stupid beginner question. (I'm neither a beginner nor extremely stupid. I use Finale for a new project maybe once in eight months on average and always have to relearn some basic operations.)

I have a simple 3-octave Korg MIDI keyboard controller. Last I checked, it was working fine inside Finale. I verified that it's connected by bringing up Logic Pro (which I use even less than Finale) and found that I can play it and hear and record what I play.

So I started my new project, selected simple entry quarter notes, played some notes, and they went into the score just fine. Great, ready to roll.

I left Finale running for a couple of days but didn't use it. Never touched or changed a thing. When I got back to it, Finale was (and is) no longer inserting what I play on the keyboard. Furthermore, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to tell Finale to take input from that source. (That's the "stupid beginner" part of my query.)

Meanwhile, I reloaded Logic, and it's playing just fine through there, so the keyboard is connected and sending signals. The problem seems to be that Finale isn't reading them.

In case you're wondering, yes, I restarted Finale and have even rebooted the system in the interim.

How do I fix this?

(I wish I could retain what I learned longer than a week of not using the program.)

lynndavidnewton

Post by lynndavidnewton » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:28 pm

I should have added, just to be sure that the obvious is covered:
Yes, Use MIDI Device for Input is checked.

lynndavidnewton

Post by lynndavidnewton » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:06 pm

And now for no particular reason, my keyboard is once again generating input.
I have no idea what's going on, but this is the sort of problem I don't expect anyone here to fathom.
Case closed until I can generate reproducible symptoms.
Thanks for listening.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:16 pm

I think it's a good idea to not leave Finale open for extended periods of time. It's poorly programmed in how it uses its temporary file and if you leave it open a long time, the operating system comes along and deleted temporary files that are still needed but that Finale has neglected to lock. This could well explain your symptoms.

lynndavidnewton

Post by lynndavidnewton » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:43 pm

You may be right. I'll try breaking my habit with that program. Thanks.