Copying text between documents

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

chill319

Post by chill319 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:12 pm

Is there a way to copy text boxes from one document to another in Finale for Windows? For instance, if you've created a certain title layout in one file, is there a way to copy the text box it's in and then paste a copy into another file?

I don't see any options to copy text boxes, and when I copy the contents of a text box in one file, then open a text box in another file and click paste, nothing pastes.

Please don't explain how it works on the Mac. That's a different product. Thanks.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:27 pm

You can at least copy the text itself along with the font and point size. I don't know about the text box enclosure. To copy the text itself, right-click on the handle, pick Edit Text, then type Ctrl-A to select all, followed by Ctrl-C to copy to the clipboard. Then switch to your other document, double-click in the Text tool to to create a new text block, and type Ctrl-V to paste from the clipboard.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:57 pm

As far as I know, the enclosure doesn't copy. It would be nice if it did, though.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:13 pm

Try attaching the text to a measure then copying and inserting the measure into another document. Tile the two documents vertically or horizontally. Once the text is transferred to a specific page, you may detach the text from the measure and move it to a new location.

AnneMillington
Finale Version: 27.3.0

Post by AnneMillington » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:25 am

I might just make a copy of my favored document, and remove all but the salient text bits such as content, format and location. That would serve as a template. Then you would copy all the musical content of your second document into the template, and save as a third hybrid document, with the text where you want it.

Not that I've tried that...

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:08 am

Simply attaching text to a measure or staff then pasting the measure into the new document should should accommodate the OP. The text will accompany the copied measure. If the copied measure has any notation, it can be deleted without losing the text. In such case, use the eraser as clearing all items will delete the text also.