Move all layers, all voices to single layer, single voice

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Tralley
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Tralley » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:24 pm

Is there a simple way to move all music in a Finale document from existing layers and voices into a single layer, single voice? Thanks.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:15 pm

The JW Staff Polyphony plug-in will do that, provided the notes have the same duration from layer to layer.

http://finaletips.nu/index.php/download

Tralley

Post by Tralley » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:10 am

Thanks.

Maybe I should ask a separate question for this, but I noticed that on my Mac (it's an M1 Silicon model running macOS 12.6), I can't make any item appear in the Plug-ins menu for the JW Staff Polyphony plug-in, no matter which subfolder of the Plug-ins folder hierarchy I put it in, how many times I move it and the folder I created for it (that's how I know I'm working with the correct Plug-ins folder, because the folder I created for it only exists in one place on my system, and appears without any submenus in the Plug-ins menu of Finale 27), and whether or not I force inheritance of all parent folders permissions and restart Finale 27 and/or the computer.

I downloaded from the following link, and the name of the downloaded, unzipped file (the package I'm placing in the hierarchy of Plug-ins folders) is "jwstaffpolyphony64.bundle":

http://finaletips.nu/index.php/download ... hony-v1-14

Do you know any reason for this problem, any detail I might have missed? (I'm not new at this sort of thing, just using Finale and third party extensions for it.)

Thanks again.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:01 pm

The reason is that, in their current version, the JW plug-ins are not native, thus not compatible with M1 processors and Finale 27.2 (which is native).
MakeMusic announced that 8 rewritten JW plug-ins (native, and JW Staff Polyphony is one of them) will be integrated in the upcoming update (27.3). In the meantime, the only way to use the JW plug-ins in this configuration is to launch Finale in Rosetta mode (Info window of the Finale application).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Tralley

Post by Tralley » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:29 pm

Can you confirm that the plug-in works for you if you launch Finale in Rosetta mode? Launching Finale with a check mark in the Rosetta check box in the Info window for Finale.app made no difference for me.

If it works for you, I suspect that it may be related to the fact that I'm using an M1 Silicon Mac. Could that be it? I'm confident that I'm using the right folder, because not only is the specified path correct, but other plug-ins (for example, TG Tools) disappear from the plug-in menu if I remove their containing folders from my particular Plug-ins folder and relaunch Finale.app.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:52 pm

Yes, it is related to the M1, which I don't have (and 27.2, which runs "native" when used with the M1). This is what is circulating on the forums. With my configuration, I cannot test it for you (I also use MacOs Catalina)... Let's wait for some feedback from people who use a configuration similar to yours.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua