Can't figure out why the sound of the first note is cut off

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

msanjelpie
Finale Version: 27.1.0.271
Operating System: Windows

Post by msanjelpie » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:48 pm

This started happening a couple of weeks ago for no apparent reason. I type in all of the notes, click on play, and no matter what the duration of the first note is, it gets cut off. So, like an 8th note sounds like a 16th and a half note sounds like a quarter note etc...

Don't know if there is something I need to click or unclick. My solve for this issue has been to insert an empty measure or pickup measure before the first measure so that the program treats the notes in the second measure with the correct duration.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Finale Ver - 27.1.0.271
PC - Windows 10

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:04 pm

I don't have an answer, and someone on this forum might have, but I used to experience this when I used midi hardware. Since switching to VST I don't have the problem. My solution at the time was to add an extra empty measure at the beginning of a piece.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

msanjelpie
Finale Version: 27.1.0.271

Post by msanjelpie » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:53 pm

heinzfan wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:04 pm
I don't have an answer, and someone on this forum might have, but I used to experience this when I used midi hardware. Since switching to VST I don't have the problem. My solution at the time was to add an extra empty measure at the beginning of a piece.
I don't use midi, just enter notes from my PC keyboard. Hmm, wonder how switching solved the problem. Thanks for the info!
Finale Ver - 27.1.0.271
PC - Windows 10

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:35 am

msanjelpie wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:53 pm
heinzfan wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:04 pm
I don't use midi, just enter notes from my PC keyboard. Hmm, wonder how switching solved the problem. Thanks for the info!
The problem I encountered had nothing to do with entering the notes, but playing them back on midi synths. Since I switched to virtual instruments I don't have the problem. Are you playing back your files with Garritan or other virtual instruments? You might want to try changing the buffer size and see if that helps: midi/audio, audio setup.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:03 pm

Finale has a bug that randomly cancels playback of a note in a measure. I notice that the more I edit a document, the more unstable Finale becomes. I used to insert a new measure next to the problematic one then re-enter the notes and delete the bad measure. Now I do the following:

Speedy Entry -> click in the measure (frame will appear) -> click outside the measure -> hold down Ctrl key and click in the measure again. The "Edit Frame" panel appears. Click on "Next Entry" and "Prev Entry" buttons to scroll through all the notation in the measure, making sure the two "Playback" boxes below remain checked.

endamarrie
Finale Version: Finale 2014

Post by endamarrie » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:18 pm

Thanks for sharing the information.