Centering time signature etc on custom staff

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

kpod73
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by kpod73 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:41 pm

Hi,
Is there a way to vertically center the clef, time signature etc on custom staves (i.e. those with fewer or more lines than standard)? I have a staff with 8 lines and these elements are centered on the third line from top (which would normally by the center line in a 5-line staff).
Many thanks,
Peter

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:08 pm

The Document options (time signature, vertical position of the numerator and denominator) are global and won't work if you have regular staves, as they will be applied to them too.
Hide clef, time signature in those staves (with a staff style), then create expressions and place them where you want.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:16 pm

If the document is a 1-staff document, then you can set the position in the Document Options.

Unfortunately the Document Options will affect all staves in the document.
In a 2-staff document (e. g. a piano score) the settings will affect both staves - as michelp pointed out.

Another workaround for a document with multiple staves (with different number of staff-lines):
Hide the time signature in the custom staff, and add an extra staff that displays only time signature (and nothing else).

You can position the extra staff so that its time signature displays exactly where needed in the custom staff.
You should probably position the extra staff as the very last step when the document is finished.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996