Fermata

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

nicologix
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by nicologix » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:58 am

Hello,

I'd like to add fermatas to a drum chart but for some reason the fermata symbol is not on the articulation selection of my document.

When I open a new default document and take a look at the articulation tool list, the fermata symbol is available.

Is there a way for me to import it from one library to the other or anything else I could do to add it to the articulation selection ?

Thank you very much.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:05 pm

Indeed it is possible to import a library with the fermata articulation.

But there is a simpler way:

Open a new, empty Default Document.
Enter a note, and add a fermata on the note.

Selection Tool.
Double-click the measure with the fermata note, and Copy it to the Clipboard.

Close the Default Document, open the drum chart document, and Insert (or Paste) the measure from the Clipboard.
The fermata will be added to the (bottom of the) Articulation Selection.

When you are done, you can clear or delete the measure - the fermata will stay put in the Articulation Selection.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

nicologix

Post by nicologix » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:20 pm

Thank you very much.

It worked perfectly well but the font of the fermata changed from the default document to my drum chart, which makes it look a little bit weird to me.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:48 pm

If the symbol is available in another document, the library file in your doc may have become corrupted. Reloading the library file should make the symbol available again, but reloading duplicates all the items therein, bloating the document...unless you firstly delete all non-custom added items in Articulations, Expressions and Line tools. A simpler way would be to recreate the symbol in Articulation Designer: set font to "Character" Maestro Regular 22 pt., and from the Main Character selection panel, choose the symbol, which is #85 (U+F055).

nicologix

Post by nicologix » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:49 am

Djard wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:48 pm
If the symbol is available in another document, the library file in your doc may have become corrupted. Reloading the library file should make the symbol available again, but reloading duplicates all the items therein, bloating the document...unless you firstly delete all non-custom added items in Articulations, Expressions and Line tools. A simpler way would be to recreate the symbol in Articulation Designer: set font to "Character" Maestro Regular 22 pt., and from the Main Character selection panel, choose the symbol, which is #85 (U+F055).
Thank you for answering. Even when I change the font the symbol #85 is still not available unfortunately.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:45 am

Is the fermata available in the default document, or in a document created with Setup Wizard? If so, your library file became corrupted. If you upload a page from the problematic document, I think I can fix the issue for you.