Midi input chord results in D/Gb?!?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bamboleate
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by bamboleate » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:12 am

This is hardly a beginner question as I experience this as a longtime user and I'm pretty sure that it showed D/F# as expected before. But how to change it "back"?
I have to input many many chords and it's a pain to check them all for spelling.
If the context is difficult, say Finale has to determine whether it's a G#m or an Abm chord - That I wouldn't mind. But D/Gb is beyond stupid...

Thanks for your time and answers..

Edit: I use the default spelling table, and it now uses flats ONLY, so E/Ab B/Eb in the key of C major. ugh

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:31 pm

bamboleate wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:12 am
This is hardly a beginner question as I experience this as a longtime user and I'm pretty sure that it showed D/F# as expected before. But how to change it "back"?
I have to input many many chords and it's a pain to check them all for spelling.
If the context is difficult, say Finale has to determine whether it's a G#m or an Abm chord - That I wouldn't mind. But D/Gb is beyond stupid …
If I understand you correctly, you are talking about {chord symbols} (like e. g. D/F#), not about {chords written out in notes} - right?

And you are inputting the chord symbols by typing them into the score, via the computer keyboard - right?

One (important) question:

* Does this Finale document contain capo chords?

If there are capo chords, then type “against” the spelling corrections.
If e. g. you type D/F#, and the chord symbol is “corrected” to D/Gb, then instead type D/E###.
That trick always works.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

bamboleate

Post by bamboleate » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:03 pm

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about {chord symbols}
Yes they are chord symbols, but they're entered by MIDI input in a piece in C maj (but not limited to Cmaj, if I change the key to D the Chord that should read D/F#, but is written as D/Gb becomes E/Ab).
I do not have any capo chords in my Finale document - although I could have changed something somewhere, and that exactly is my guess, but.. Where..? ...hence my question.

I have /Finale/spelling set to default.
Chord Menu/Allow MIDI input/ is on, as that's what I want, CHord Style is standard.

THANK YOU for your answer. Unfortunately, it is not what I seek, as I input the chords differently, and I don't use Capo Chords.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:01 am

Finale can not read your mind - but perhaps version 3023 will …
;-)

Since Finale can not read your mind, you must tell it how to spell the chords.

Do you have experience with using Spelling Tables?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

bamboleate

Post by bamboleate » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:28 am

The strange thing is (in your words) that it could read my mind until it couldn't. I mean by that, that a chord symbol, commonly written as D/F# was recognized and written correctly as D/F#, and then something happens, maybe I change the spelling to favor sharps or flats, because I have the feeling that it suits my needs better (and later I change it back), maybe because it won't recognize a G#m chord in the context and writes Abm.
THAT is in my opinion mind reading of Finale, although one could argue that the harmonic context could indicate what chord symbol should be displayed, but I don't mind changing a chord that needs context to be written correctly..
But I cannot imagine a single case, where D/Gb makes sense at all. Either the D should be an Ebb (e-double-flat) or the F# should be... dare I say.. an F#.

I have not used "spelling tables", but it sounds like it gets closer to the root of the problem.

I also fiddle with this because I need the note between G and A sometimes to be a G# and sometimes an Ab, again depending on the context. If I have to do enharmonic spelling way too often in a doc, I try to fiddle with the settings so I get the right enharmonic spelling more often... until it's finished and I forget about it..

Thank you kind human for trying to read my mind. I do my best at helping you with that. Thank you!

bamboleate

Post by bamboleate » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:51 pm

Is there something I can do so somebody can help me?

bamboleate

Post by bamboleate » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:13 am

Maybe it's possible to reset all the enharmonic settings by deleting and reinstalling some files?

Just reinstalling Finale without deleting the old installation does not work...

The problem persists with newly made documents "with setup wizard", so this is more general than a messed up doc, which is very possible because of my potato-user-being.
What ever I select in /Finale/enharmonic spelling/ - the CHORD that I input comes out as D/Gb, although note input results in F#, but only (!) if I select favor sharps/use spelling tables and input it accordingly.

There might be a language barrier here, so if I was rude in any form and that's why nobody answers, please also tell me, as it's absolutely not my intention, and I'll gladly apologize.