Reset EVERYTHING to default

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bamboleate
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by bamboleate » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:50 am

Hi guys is there a way I can reset aaaaallll the settings for Finale without manually deleting everything and reinstalling, which would be my last resort? Mainly because of my problem with enharmonic "stupid" chords described here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21762
Somehow nobody can or wants to help me, and so I ask somewhat broader. Again: My apologies if I misunderstood something, or if I was being rude in any way, blame it on the language barrier.
Thank you!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:37 pm

Resetting the preferences should do it. Or, just uninstall and reinstall the program.

This won't affect any documents you've already created, of course.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

bamboleate

Post by bamboleate » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:59 am

I have done what you wrote, delete the prefs, no help, opening a default doc and entering f#,a,d (bottom note is f#, top note d) as a chord on the MIDI Keyboard results in a chord symbol D/Gb

So I "completely" uninstalled Finale following https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... ing-Finale, and reinstalled. Surprise was, that it still was registered...

Then I opened a default doc from the launch window
Clicked on chord tool, allowed MIDI input
played the above chord with also above results.

It's so strange that only I seem to have that problem..

Do you know of any other places where preferences are saved, or can you help me out with search keywords, that I still couldn't think of?

miker

Post by miker » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:26 pm

What chord were you expecting it to show?

Reinstalling the program has nothing to do with it being registered. Registration is a different process, and is done through their website.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

bamboleate

Post by bamboleate » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:20 pm

What chord were you expecting it to show?
For work I input a lot of sheet music, and there is this chord that consists of three notes, maybe some are doubled while playing, but that doesn't matter for writing them down on a sheet. If I have for example a sheet in C major and I go on chord input, and on a MIDI keyboard with MIDI input enabled I play three notes, I write them bottom up: The black key between f and g is the whole point of discussion here, let's call it f# for this example. If I input f# a d, which in virtually all circumstances should result in the chord symbol D/F#, Finale makes a D/Gb of it, even if I go enharmonic spelling and set it to favor sharps.

My train of thought is that there is a "setting" that got messed up and even in enharmonic spelling/standrd, and in my memory it changed somewhen, but I cannot point out where exactly, and I cannot recall what I did.

So I thought reinstalling and "over" installing "all the settings" should do the trick, but it doesn't. So I wanted to know how to delete aaallll the settings. the prefs/Delete preferences does NOT do the trick, reinstalling does NOT do the trick.

I am not trying to be rude, I am trying to be as clear as possible, please keep in mind that English is not my main laguage.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:23 pm

I don't really understand the Chord tool. Does D/F# mean a D major chord in first inversion? I get the G-flat as well.

bamboleate

Post by bamboleate » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:02 pm

Does D/F# mean a D major chord in first inversion?
Yes, or - in pop music it's written like that, so the bass player of a band knows he should play the third of the chord, abd the guitar player can play a D major chord, that's how they're meant. One could also play first inversion chords but it's not exactly that :D
I get the G-flat as well.
So you get the D/Gb chord symbol as well if you're playing "f# a d", is that what you mean? I guess that you don't really use the chord symbol tool that much?

miker

Post by miker » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:52 pm

Just out of curiosity, have you sent this in to tech support?

Would it make a difference if you entered it from the top, down?
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

bamboleate

Post by bamboleate » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:23 pm

In this case it would be handy if you @miker add the username to your question.. since part one seems to be adressed to me (@bamboleate), and the second part to @motet, otherwise your questions make no sense - to me that is, but just for the sake of completity (is that a word?) I'll answer both and let's see what @motet does :)

Part one
Just out of curiosity, have you sent this in to tech support?
I have sent an email to tech support and I'll keep you guys updated.

Part two
Would it make a difference if you entered it from the top, down?
I am not able to enter the chord top down, I play the three notes on my midi Keyboard at the same time and the chord symbol appears, otherwise the chord symbol does not recognize the chord. (And what chord is it, if it's only one note..?)

Again, if I misunderstood something or if I was being rude, please point it out, and I'll gladly apologize, as it's not at all my intention do offend somebody trying to help, it's just that my English is not reliable...

Thank you guys for your participation and thoughts.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:43 pm

bamboleate wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:02 pm
Does D/F# mean a D major chord in first inversion?
Yes, or - in pop music it's written like that, so the bass player of a band knows he should play the third of the chord, abd the guitar player can play a D major chord, that's how they're meant. One could also play first inversion chords but it's not exactly that :D
I get the G-flat as well.
So you get the D/Gb chord symbol as well if you're playing "f# a d", is that what you mean? I guess that you don't really use the chord symbol tool that much?
Yes, I get "D/Gb" regardless of the enharmonic setting. I don't use the chord symbol tool at all--I'm totally ignorant when it comes to chord symbols.

bamboleate

Post by bamboleate » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:37 am

I got answer from helpdesk:

In the key of C the chord will always be automatically interpreted as D/Gb, also E/Ab or A/Db, "because it's a program and does not know anything about music".

I'm... a little disappointed.

While one can easily program an app that can correctly tell the third of a chord, Finale in version 27 lowers the fourth of a chord making D/F# a D major chord with an added diminished fourth as bass note.

whoa. If I wasn't disappointed, I'd be amazed. File closed.