Guitar chord diagrams: Different fingerings for the same chord in same document?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mrfunk
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by mrfunk » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:38 am

When you manually correct one guitar chord diagram to be played in a certain way, this is applied to the chord everywhere in the document as it's what you usually want. However, sometimes in different parts of a song, you want it to be played differently, for example because one part of the song is played at a significantly different position on the neck than the other. How do I break this universal sync for a given chord in order to make an exception so it can be played differently (by the human reading it)?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:44 am

The fretboard diagram is (in Finale) a part of the chord suffix.

Hence:
In the Chord Suffix Selection window, duplicate the chord suffix.

Then, customize the duplicate’s fretboard diagram.

In this duplicate suffix you can get customized fretboard diagrams for all 12 transpositions of the suffix.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

mrfunk
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by mrfunk » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:17 pm

Thank you, problem solved! :)

I must admit I'm still a bit confused about making any custom chords and things so that I'd have everything available to me in the future. Maybe I'll look up a tutorial on something like that, unless someone has made a nice downloadable resource of all this chord related stuff that should've come by default.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:42 pm

If you figure out how to stop Finale from duplicating chord diagrams, especially blank ones that if deleted remove legitimate ones in the score, please share.