Expressions not displaying

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

DeathRobot
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by DeathRobot » Thu May 11, 2023 11:05 pm

I am trying to add a tempo marking and a "rit." to a score I created by importing a MIDI file. However, neither will display on the score. My steps:

1. Click on the Expression tool
2. Double click above the measure where I want to place the markings
3. Select the expression I want to use in the Expression Selection box (I loaded in the standard expression library - "rit." is an option already and I created a new expression for the tempo marking)
4. Double click the expression or click the Assign button (I've tried both)

The Expression Selection box closes but the expression does not show up on the score. I am able to assign and see dynamic markings, however. Any ideas why this might be happening and how I can fix?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Thu May 11, 2023 11:47 pm

Use the appropriate expression categories :
• Tempo markings (values or instructions like Allegro, etc) : use the Tempo Marks category
• Rit should be in the Tempo Alterations category.
If you use these categories, the expressions will display (by default, according to their Score List #1) at the top of the score and at the top of each part.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

DeathRobot
Finale Version: 27

Post by DeathRobot » Fri May 12, 2023 12:41 am

When I'm in the Expression Selection box I did have the Tempo Marks category selected before clicking on the tempo marking, and the Tempo Alterations category selected before clicking on "rit." but based on your comment I checked the Score List and they were turned off there. So they're working now, thanks!