Can't seem to add measures

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Melisande
Finale Version: Finale NotePad 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by Melisande » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:35 pm

I tried to add measures at the end of my piece by going to Edit > Add Measures and then selecting 30 measures. Didn't work. No new measures were added. I also tried double-clicking the measure tool to add a single measure and nothing happened.

Also, the final measure that is shown does not have a double bar and I was under the impression that Finale always showed a double bar on the last measure by default.

This is the first time I've tried to use the software since I re-installed it on a new system. I am concerned that somehow its full capabilities are still locked for me, for some reason.

Ideas?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:42 pm

Are you still using NotePad 2012? What is your Windows version?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Melisande

Post by Melisande » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:36 pm

Windows 10 Pro.

I don't really think it is the fact that I'm using an old version. I was using this version of Finale without any problems just a few weeks ago. The only change has been moving Finale to a new system. This is the first time I'm using it on this new computer.

Melisande

Post by Melisande » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:38 pm

Is limiting the number of measures in a file something that Finale does when the system isn't fully authorized or someone is trying to use a free version? Could it be something like that? (As far as I know my version IS fully authorized, but maybe something went wrong when I moved it to the new system).

miker

Post by miker » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:52 am

I don't think that's it. An demo (unauthorized) version will work fine; it's just that printing and saving are disabled.

You might try recreating the preference file.

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

Melisande

Post by Melisande » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:02 am

Hi Miker,

That seems pretty complicated. Also, I have a new problem with the system. I cannot seem to save the file I was working on. I was able to save it quite a few times before after having re-installed Finale 2021 on my old computer. So, I don't think it is a permissions issue.

I will get out of Finale and re-boot. Maybe that will help.

My husband is pushing me to just buy the new version. But I'd hate to spend the money and STILL have the same problems. Is there any guarantee that buying a newer version will resolve these problems? Or can I "return" it, if it doesn't?

I don't really care about having the latest version. I am a volunteer choir director and i use Finale about 4 times a year to transpose the occasional piece into a suitable range. It's not something I use every day and I also don't have to have the latest bells and whistles ... I just need to get a copy clean enough so our pianist can read it.

Melisande

Post by Melisande » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:13 am

OK, I closed Finale and rebooted. I wasn't able to save the last changes I made to my file, however when I started Finale back up I couldn't find the file I had been working on. (I had saved it multiple times previously.) However, I started all over again with a new file and now I am having no problems adding measures.

Just not relishing having to start all over again and wondering what happened to my previously saved file. It simply isn't in my Finale Files folder where it had been.

Ideas?

Melisande

Post by Melisande » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:17 am

Also, if I do want to upgrade to the latest version, how do I do that?

miker

Post by miker » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:41 pm

You can download a demo version before you buy. It will be full-featured (except for the Garritan sounds) for 30 days. After that, printing and saving are disabled.

Note that there is no longer a NotePad. You would be getting the full Finale. Everything you know is still applicable, but you will be getting all the bells and whistles. You can choose to use them, or not!

To download the demo, go to finalemusic.com, and click on the Free Trial button.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura