Changing percussion - confusing display on sheet

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

blanche
Finale Version: 27.3.0-160
Operating System: Mac

Post by blanche » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:27 am

In Score Manager, I have Quad Toms set, but there are many versions of the Quad Tom, such as Low Tom, Low Tom Buzz, and so on. Using the arrow keys, I can go thru the list but two things are happening. First the note itself is moving up/down the staff and second, the name of the tom-tom is obscured by the tom-tom name associated with the mouse. One is magenta, the other is black. I've enlarged the sheet to see if that's the problem - nope. Confusing, I know. Is there a way to specific which tom-tom after the note is entered? I'd be happy if the entire measure uses the same tom-tom.

I think what I want is to specifically change the internal identity of the notes. Looking at the Garritan specs, what I want is the high-tom MIDI 69 (altho I'm not using MIDI output).

TBoliske
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by TBoliske » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:42 pm

The quad tom instrument is a set of 4 tenor drums of graduated sizes normally used in marching percussion. The Low Tom, Low Tom Buzz, etc. are descriptions of the different available sounds for the instrument. Each would be assigned to a different midi note for playback. The notes appear to move up and down the staff because each drum would have a different staff placement. Sounds associated with each drum would display on the same staff location. For example, drum #1 would use the top space, drum # 2 second space down, etc.

What specifically are you wanting to achieve? Is this for marching percussion or are you primarily looking for a single tenor/tom instrument?
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12,10.14,10.15, Win7, Win10
Finale 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2014.5, 25,26,27