Capo Chords & chord names

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

JohnJSherry
Finale Version: 27.4.1.146
Operating System: Mac

Post by JohnJSherry » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:16 am

I'm trying to notate a guitar part played with the Capo at the third fret. The first chord is Csus2 which looks like Asus2 when capoed at the 3rd fret. First off, I can't find sus2 in the chord names, so I have to create the fretting but then when I go to make/remove capo chords, it won't make the adjustment so it just stays the same. I tried this on a maj 7 chord and it worked and made the appropriate changes to make an Ebmaj7 into a Cmaj7.

Any help would be most appreciated.

John
Attachments
Stolen Time.musx
(113.92 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:41 pm

JohnJSherry,

1) Your forum user Profile (shown to the right of your post) says that you are using Finale v26, but your attached Finale document was created in Finale v27 ?!?

2) When you are examining your new chord suffix sus2 in the Fretboard Editor, click the button {Show Group >>}, to view all the 12 transpositions.
You will see that you have created fretboard diagram for only one transposition.
If you instead examine one of the ready made suffixes, then you will see that the Group contains fretboards for all 12 transpositions.

3) Chord Tool.
Change the chord Csus2 to Ebsus2.
Then, when capoed at the 3rd fret, the Ebsus2 will display as Csus2.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:21 pm

Do you want to write a guitar part in, say, the key of A Major with capo on CIII but have Finale play the notes in concert pitch, which in this case would be C Major? I have a method that permits this configuration. The chord diagrams also appear in A Major. The key signature of other instruments in the ensemble are not affected.