Section Text for Score & Parts

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Mus
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Mus » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:48 am

Hi all,

I've imported midi parts into a jazz combo score and I'm producing a lead sheet for the score and each part.

I want to add text for each section: (Intro, Chorus, Coda etc.) that will show up on the score and each generated part.

It works on page 1 (Intro) but not on page 2 (chorus) of the score. i.e. 'Chorus' does not print for the parts.

Any ideas why and how to fix?

Thanks

M

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:28 am

If "Chorus" is on page 2 in the score and every part, you can get away with using a text block created with the Text tool. That should appear in every part. Otherwise, use an expression in a category that includes a score list, for example the Tempo Marks category. By default, things in that category are shown on the top staff of the score and each part.

Mus

Post by Mus » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:53 am

motet wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:28 am
If "Chorus" is on page 2 in the score and every part, you can get away with using a text block created with the Text tool. That should appear in every part. Otherwise, use an expression in a category that includes a score list, for example the Tempo Marks category. By default, things in that category are shown on the top staff of the score and each part.
OK, got it! Thank you very much ☺

Mus

Post by Mus » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:08 am

Actually, is it possible to do the same with chords that will transpose for Bb or Eb instruments and show up on each staff?

Or do you have to enter each separately?

Many thanks!

M

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:22 pm

Mus wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:08 am
… Actually, is it possible to do the same with chords that will transpose for Bb or Eb instruments and show up on each staff? …
When I copy music (including chord symbols) to a staff with staff transposition, then both the notes and the chord symbols are automatically transposed.

Are you saying that (when pasted to a transposing staff) only the music gets automatically transposed, but not the chord symbols?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Mus

Post by Mus » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:49 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:22 pm
Mus wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:08 am
… Actually, is it possible to do the same with chords that will transpose for Bb or Eb instruments and show up on each staff? …
When I copy music (including chord symbols) to a staff with staff transposition, then both the notes and the chord symbols are automatically transposed.

Are you saying that (when pasted to a transposing staff) only the music gets automatically transposed, but not the chord symbols?

Thanks Peter,

Actually, I was wondering if there was a way of entering the Chords once at the top of the score and have them print out for each part?

You are implying that I would need to copy and paste for each staff and maybe what I want may not make sense?

Best
M

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:51 pm

Mus wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:49 pm
… I was wondering if there was a way of entering the Chords once at the top of the score and have them print out for each part? …
If I understand you correctly, you are talking about, in the score having the chord symbols display only at the top of the score (not displaying on each staff), but in all the linked parts having the chords displaying, in the part’s correct staff transposition - right?

One solution:
In the score, copy the chords to all the staves.
In that way the chords will be in all the linked parts, in correct transposition.
Staff styles can be different between score and linked parts.
By using a custom staff style you can have a staff’s chords displaying only in the linked part, not in the score.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Mus

Post by Mus » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:40 am

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:51 pm
Mus wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:49 pm
… I was wondering if there was a way of entering the Chords once at the top of the score and have them print out for each part? …
If I understand you correctly, you are talking about, in the score having the chord symbols display only at the top of the score (not displaying on each staff), but in all the linked parts having the chords displaying, in the part’s correct staff transposition - right?

One solution:
In the score, copy the chords to all the staves.
In that way the chords will be in all the linked parts, in correct transposition.
Staff styles can be different between score and linked parts.
By using a custom staff style you can have a staff’s chords displaying only in the linked part, not in the score.

OK, great, thanks, getting used to entering chords and copying with the filter now. Doesn't look too bad on all the staves but will experiment a bit more with Staff styles ☺

Best
M