Names of articlulations

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Way-Z
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Way-Z » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:33 am

I'm not so familiar with all the various symbols displayed in the articulation dialog. Is there any way that one can see what each symbol is called? Given the space limitations, the font would have to be small, but with the zoom feature one could always zoom in to see the name.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:32 am

Take a look at the attached graphic.
StrangeArticulations.JPG
47 is Bartok pizzicato.
48 is Thumb position (for cellos/basses).
56 and 57 are for ricochet bowing.
58 is pizzicato with the finger nail.

45 can indicate a bend --- while holding a note, dropping the pitch and returning.

46 can indicate an upward bend --- called a "doit"

59 and 60 are used when "fan hat" is indicated for trumpets and trombones --- "o" is open, "+" is hat over the bell.

The plus sign is also used for stopped French horn notes.

54 might be the symbol used in organ music to indicate play a pedal note with the heel.

51 is sometimes used as an 'anti-accent' ie to make a note's emphasis weaker than one might expect it to be. Used extensively by Schoenberg in pieces such as Moses und Aron where this ˘ is used to indicate a weak beat and ´ a misplaced strong one.

From a string players point of view:

56 & 57 are placed over notes with tremolo articulations to show how many notes are played. 56 can be placed over a dotted quarter note that has one tremolo hash mark to show that three eighth notes are played. 57 can be placed over a quarter note that has one tremolo hash mark to show that two eighth notes are played. The Cello/Bass part to Mendelssohn 5 is an example of this. In places, he uses 6 dots under a slur. As mentioned above, the slur indicates they are played with one bow. Mendelssohn actually writes the notes out in one measure, and then uses the abbreviated form in subsequent measures.

60 in double bass music indicates the note is to be stoped with the thumb. ( + 1 2 3 4)

59 indicates a harmonic.

I believe 50 is a martelé stroke with the bow (hammered), or in some music really really short staccato. I've also seen some music where it simply means staccato. (A good way to tell what it really means is to watch the conductor. If he or she frowns at you, you're playing it wrong.)

From a brass players point of view:

57 and 56 are double and triple tonguing respectively.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Way-Z
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Way-Z » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:31 pm

Thanks for all the detailed information. Much appreciated!