Finale for Dummies?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

zzzeorch

Post by zzzeorch » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:07 am

I am not a musician and I am considering a music notation software for the following goals in order of sequence: 1. scan printed choral music, 2. separate voice parts, 3. fix scanning mistakes, 4. isolate voice part playback for practice. I have absolutely no aspiration to do complicated commands that Finale is so capable of. Currently I am trying out Finale.

1. I have tried scanning music with the built-in scanning software but there are inevitably quite a lot of mistakes that I need to fix. I just find it very prohibitive to get over the learning curve of finale to do something relatively simple. Am I using a jet fighter for grocery shopping? Are there simpler, more user-friendly software to achieve what I want to do?

2. If not, is there any good books out there for "dummies" like me? I find the tutorial and the user manual hard to follow.

3. For choral scores, when many times two voices are written on the same staff then break into two staves, I have found that after I scanned the score, finale was unable to pick up the correct staff. ie. the second staff would become the third staff. I end up using photoshop to duplicate the mixed staff (so the number of staves would be consistent thoughout the TIFF scans) Is there a way to "instruct" finale to recognize that a staff is supposed to break into two (or at least make sure the two accompaniment tracks go to the correct place?)

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:45 am

zzzeorch wrote:1. I have tried scanning music with the built-in scanning software but there are inevitably quite a lot of mistakes that I need to fix. I just find it very prohibitive to get over the learning curve of finale to do something relatively simple. Am I using a jet fighter for grocery shopping? Are there simpler, more user-friendly software to achieve what I want to do?
Scanning programs are not able to do their job without mistakes yet. They are getting better, but music is still too complicated....
zzzeorch wrote:2. If not, is there any good books out there for "dummies" like me? I find the tutorial and the user manual hard to follow.
If the tutorial is hard to follow for you, you will not be able to work with finale. You need to know at least a little about music. Try to find a musician!

Peter