multiple note values in one measure

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jimjennings

Post by jimjennings » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:26 am

I started dragging over eighth notes in 3/4 time and it worked fine. However, in one of the measures I want to add a dotted half note above 6 eighth notes. In other words, there would be two voices in that measure. Everything I try results in ONLY one value of note per measure and NO extra voices. What do I do about this? THANK!
Jim Jennings

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:08 am

read about layers in the manual!

jimjennings

Post by jimjennings » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:31 am

Well, the layers concept has definitely helped and I am grateful but now that raises another question: When I enter a G (2 Gs above Middle C) as layer A and the F immediately below as layer B, Finale positions the G BEHIND the F which is the opposite of what I want. The two notes are correct except for that. Any suggestions? Thanks very much!
Jim Jennings

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:37 am

Have you tried to change the layers? It seems to me that finale (I have 2004) in such cases puts the notes of layer 1 before layer 2, or 2 before 3 and so on.
If this is not possible for you, you can always drag the notes to the position you want with the special tool.

Peter

jimjennings

Post by jimjennings » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:47 am

Yes, in other cases Layer A notes are placed before Layer B. --- However, it doesn't work in all cases. In layer 1 I put a half note in beat #1. In layer 2 I began the measure with an eighth note at an interval of a major second below the Layer A halfnote. All was well until I decided to DOT the half note. As soon as I applied the dot the note moved behind the Layer 2 note. I couldn't do anything to move it back in front of the Layer 2 note. ---- Any ideas?
Jim Jennings

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:16 pm

As Far As I Know, Finale is just following the rules for music notation:

Normally when you have two voices in the same staff, you notate colliding seconds with the upper voice to the left and the lower voice to the right.

But when the upper voice note is dotted (and the lower voice note isn't dotted), the upper voice note should be positioned to the right - in order to avoid collision between the dot and the lower voice note's notehead.

If you insist on having the upper, dotted note to the left, you will have to reposition the two notes manually.
You should not do the repositioning before you have finished the rest of the layout, and locked the systems.

If I were you, I would reposition the notes with the Note Position (sub-)Tool in the Special Tools Tool (the repositioning can also be done with the dialog box Edit Frame, or with mouse-dragging in the Speedy Entry Tool).

Note:
Before you begin, you should toggle off "Automatic Music Spacing" (Edit menu).
And it might be a good idea to have Finale display its Message Bar (Program Options), since the Message Bar will display the positioning in numbers, using the Measurement Units you have chosen (some users prefer EVPUs - personally I prefer Points, since positioning measured in Points usually gives numbers between 1 and 10).

When using the Note Positioning Tool, view at a high zoom percentage (e. g. 400%), select the note's handle, and nudge it with the arrow keys.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jimjennings

Post by jimjennings » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:31 am

You're a saint! Thank you so much for such helpful information. I will get to it this weekend. It's coming very well, actually. I'm arranging something by Korngold that was written for violin and piano. He arranged 3 movements for solo piano but neglected the best middle movement. So, I'm finishing the job. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Jim Jennings