Inserting Measures (NOT at end)

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jimjennings

Post by jimjennings » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:32 pm

Hi: It appears to me the help text describes adding measures to the end of a piece but not Inserting Measures between other existing measures. I am writing in 3/4 time and need to add two measures midway through in 2/4 time. Subsequent measures would be in 3/4 time. ---- The trouble is, I already composed the music in 3/4 time before I realized I needed to do this. Just changning one middle measure to 2/4 time readjusts everything "downstream" and does NOT insert a new measure. I need TWO new measures in the middle to do this right. Would someone please suggest a method? Thanks Very Much!
Jim Jennings

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:47 pm

A. In this example let's say that you want to insert 2 measures between Measure 2 and Measure 3.

Measure Tool.
Click Measure 3 to select it.
Measure menu > Insert...
Type "2" in the "How Many?" text field, and hit the Return key to "OK" the dialog box.

B. The time signature of the inserted measures will be the same as the time signature in Measure 2.
If you don't want that time signature, you will have to change it.

In this example let's say that Measure 2 is in 2/4, and Measure 3 is in 3/4, and you want to insert two 3/4 measures between Measure 2 and Measure 3:

Insert the two measures as described above.
They will be in 2/4, since Measure 2 is in 2/4.

Time Signature Tool.
Select the two measures, and hit the QWERTY '3' key (= the metatool for 3/4 time).

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jimjennings

Post by jimjennings » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:05 pm

Thanks for such fast help! Maybe my problem is that I have Finale 2003 because the Measure Tool does not include an "Insert" feature, as near as I can tell. I see "Add" only.
Jim Jennings

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:26 pm

[quote="jimjennings"]Thanks for such fast help! Maybe my problem is that I have Finale 2003 because the Measure Tool does not include an "Insert" feature, as near as I can tell. I see "Add" only.[/quote]

I find this hard to believe.

Are you telling that your Measure menu only contains the menu item "Add..."?

No "Insert..."?
No "Delete"??

Even the free Finale NotePad has 3 commands in its Measure menu:
Add...
Insert...
Delete

Peter

jimjennings

Post by jimjennings » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:48 pm

Well, I appreciate your suspicion that there HAS to be an Insert Menu tool. In fact, such a tool IS referred to in the manual. It is similar to the ADD MEASURE tool. The ADD MEASURE tool is accessed by Ctrl + click-ing the Measure Tool. The Insert Measurt Tool is accessed by "Click the Measure Tool, click a measure, and choose Insert from the Measure Menu" ---- Well, that brings up a Measure Attributes window that allows many things but not Insert. So, I think I should call Technical Support on this, don't you? Thanks Again!
Jim Jennings

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:36 pm

In my copy of Finale 2007 the Measure menu has 7 menu items:

Add...
Insert...
Delete
Multimeasure Rests >
Measure Numbers >
Edit Measure Attributes...
Show Measure Spacing Handles

From your description it sounds like you choose menu item 2, "Insert..." and you get menu item 6, "Edit Measure Attributes...".

That sounds like a major bug.
Perhaps your copy of Finale is corrupted?

Peter

jimjennings

Post by jimjennings » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:15 am

well, the hardest part of all this is that I have such limited time to fool around and find out stuff. 'Twas ever thus! I'll keep investigating when I have time and post my results here. So, thanks for all your suggestions. I will keep all of that in mind. JHJ
Jim Jennings

jimjennings

Post by jimjennings » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:19 am

Well, this is remarkable. I complained to the Finale people via their email address in the "About Finale" dropdown. They did not send a verbal response but, all of a sudden, my computer was receiving a download from Finale and my problem is solved. I now have a Measure tool that allows me to Insert measures within the existing measures. Case Closed. Thanks to all who helped!
Jim Jennings