How To Do Rolled Chords

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jimjennings

Post by jimjennings » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:54 am

In the Articulation Tool of my Finale 2003, I can find something that looks like the "squiggle" I would use for rolled chords but it is horizontal and I need it to run vertically alongside the chord, in this piano arrangement I'm doing. Can someone tell me how to make that happen? Thanks!
Jim Jennings

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:13 am

It sounds like your document was created from the Default File?

The articulation library in the Default File contains many useful articulations.
Among them is an articulation for rolled chords: the vertical "squiggle".
I think it's articulation #30 or #31 or #32 - somewhere thereabout.
The smart thing about this particular squiggle is that you can stretch it vertically to match the height of the entire chord.

When the "sqiuggle" articulation has been entered into the score, you will see two handles on it:
- a handle for positioning
- a handle for vertical stretching

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jimjennings

Post by jimjennings » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:48 am

It may be that our versions of Finale differ but I didn't find the symbol for rolled chords in the Articulation Tool. Number 29 was the closest but it turned out to be something else. HOWEVER, I did find the "squiggle" in the Smart Shapes tool. It is the same marking you would use for a glissando and it is called that. I hadn't thought it would be the same symbol but indeed it is. So, my problem is solved. I do appreciate your help, as always. I am arranging a Korngold piece for piano and it is working out rather well. Thanks again!
Jim Jennings