should I upgrade to Finale 2007?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Sat May 05, 2007 7:53 pm

Ok, here's my situation. I used to use Finale 2002, which I liked.

Recently, I started using Finale 2005, which I was given as a gift. It has been a pain to learn to use the different entry system, but that's another story...the biggest problem has been that older charts I created with finale 2002, when I open them, their format is totally screwy. I wanted to give someone a chart I had written three years ago, and I couldn't give them a fresh copy, because of the formatting discrepancy...I couldn't get it to open properly in Finale 2005...that, to me, was just a crime....

Anyway, I found out about a deal I can get to upgrade to Finale 2007 for a little over a $100. I'm wondering if I should do it...can anyone advise me?

I of course don't want to have a hassle opening charts I have already created in versions 2002 or 2005...

Any suggestions? Are there ways around this format problem? is Finale 2007 worth the upgrade price?

Here's what I use it for: I write charts for small groups and also large jazz ensembles and print them out. I don't need lots of professional fonts and bells and whistles that a professional copyist would use...and I don't do really strange modern music...

I appreciate any suggestions.

BJ

jimmol

Post by jimmol » Sun May 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Since you write for small groups and large jazz ensembles, the new feature of linked parts might be a help to you unless you are able to get everything right the first time.

This feature allows you to update the score and all the linked parts are updated. If there is a demo, download it and see if this is something you might like. It might well be worth the upgrade price.
Thanks

Jim

Finale 2007c for Macintosh, Mac OS 10.4.10