Help! How does one replace two tied half w/ a whole. Or...

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

eengland

Post by eengland » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:40 am

With a rest for that matter. Im getting no love in the manual. I have a tied couple of half notes and want to make it a whole note. Unfortunately, the computer does nto see it this way. Any advice?

Also the reason I put the two half notes tied is because "it" was not letting me put chord symbols on beat that did not have a new note on them so I solved that problem by tying two halfs together and adding the chords. Which is why I find myself with my first problem above. So if anyone knows why it will not allow me to put chord symbols above beats that do not contain new notation, I'd sure appreciate knowing that as well.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:18 am

A commonly used solution is to create half notes rests in another layer, attach the chords to them, and hide the rests in that layer with a staff style.
This of course if you need the playback of the chords.
If you don't (I never use it, it doesn't sound very good and brings confusion if you want to concentrate on the other staves of the score), simply enter 2 chords (select Manual input in the menu) on that whole note and drag the second one to its position to the right.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua