How To Make a Clone of a Page Already Laid Out

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:51 am

I have one page that I have done a bunch of difficult layout on, and now I would like to copy the whole thing to a new page, so that I can continue with different lyrics on what is a very long song. How can I do this?

Thanks
Birken

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:16 am

Since I don't know the "bunch of difficult layout", I have only one suggestion:

Make a copy of the Finale document, and change the lyrics in the copy.

Also adjust the page numbers in the copy:
Text menu > Edit Page Offset...

If your score displays measure numbers, also adjust the measure numbers in the copy:
Measure Tool
Measure menu > Measure Numbers > Edit Regions...

If you are using Finale 2008, you could try to combine the two Finale documents with the ScoreMerger plug-in.

If you are using 2007 or earlier, print each document to a PDF file, and combine the two PDF files (you will need third party software for that).

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:17 pm

Well maybe it wasn't all that difficult.

What I have is the aforementioned (in the other thread) song with the grand staff introduction and the SATB fuguing parts. It took a lot of tweaking to get it to fit all on one page. I was hoping there might be a way to just duplicate the whole page, then all I would have to do would be to copy the music.

Is there some place I can look at numbers and enter them, to make the staves have the same positions and spacings on the new page? Then copying the music over should be no problem, and then I can enter lyrics.

Also I seem to remember that if I copy music that has lyrics attached, the lyrics will come with it. Is there a way to avoid that too?

Thanks
Birken

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:21 pm

For this type of layout (typing numbers in dialog boxes) I recommend that you set the "Measurement Units" to something small, f.x. Points or EVPUs, since that will make the "layout numbers" easier to type.
Big units like Inches or Centimeters will make the "layout numbers" small - with a lot of decimals.

Another issue to consider is the combined effect of several scaling percentages.
The layout calculations can become complicated if you have both
- a page scaling percentage
- a system scaling percentage
- a staff scaling percentage

I recommend that you set both the system scaling and the staff scaling to 100%, and make the page scaling the only scaling in the document.
Try a page scaling of 85%, or 80%, or 75%.

1. You can access the system margins via the Page Layout Tool:
Context-click on the system.
In the context menu, choose "Edit Margins..."
The dialog box Edit System Margins appears.

2. Since your score is optimized, you can have different staff spacing in different systems.
You can access the staff spacing via the Staff Tool:
In an optimized system each staff has two handles: an upper handle, and a lower handle.
To access the staff spacing in a particular (optimized) system, click the lower handle, and go to
Staff menu > Staff Usage...
In the dialog box Staff Usage you can see that you are editing the staff spacing only in that particular system.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:57 am

OK, this is starting to annoy me now.

I started by having it add 11 new measures. They appear but the staff positioning is so bizarre, the bass is at 0 evpu and the soprano is like the -11000 range so I start off fixing that. Then when I go to copy the notes from the first measure I find finale has seemingly arbitrarily assigned a time signature (without notating it of course) of 1/4 to all my new measures? I guess I can fix that.

When I went to edit my lyrics, I found that Finale had also converted all the verses that I had click-assigned (the first six, of twelve) from the original four lines of simple C.M. stuff, which was click assigned multiple places all over the place (it is a fuguing tune) to many lines of repetitive junk. It still prints fine, but it is much harder to do any editing now of the lyrics.

On second thought I think I will just do it with two separate files. I really wanted to have it in one file so it couldn't accidentally get separated but this is just going to be too much work to be justifiable.

Thanks for the help anyway. I will definitely refer to these posts in the future, and hopefully my next attempt at something like this will go more smoothly.

Thanks so much
Birken