single staff

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

d9ugga

Post by d9ugga » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:24 pm

In some cases a single staff is needed, not the same throughout the page.
How does one go around that one?
Another matter I couldn't fully understand is the text. If I change font & size, will this be saved with the file? what if I need 2 separate fonts in the same page?
Tnx

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:34 pm

Some general suggestions for forum use:

1. Please include pertinent details in your posts, especially if you are a first time poster. Software version (Finale, Notepad, PrintMusic, etc.) and year (05, 06, 07, 08...) are beneficial. Also, details about your operating system can expedite answers. Consider putting this in your signature line (bottom of your post) to save having to re-enter it each post.

2. Attempt to find answers in the manual and online helps first. Sometimes, you may need to try different words to be successful. Don't be afraid to read whole sections before giving up. The manual, even with its mistakes, has some good information.

3. Try to be specific. Saying "Finale won't open my file," or "Human Playback isn't working" won't get answers.

4. Specify the steps you've already taken, so that we can rule out things.

5. Try to do a Forum search before asking a question that may have already been answered quite well.

Peter

PS
Your two questions are unclear to me.

The first question - single staff - could have something to do with Optimization, but it's unclear to me what you mean ; read about optimization in the manual.

The second question - text - is even more unclear to me.

Are you trying to get bigger text in the manual (for easier reading)?

Or are you entering text into a Finale document?
What tool do you use to enter the text?
Lyrics Tool?
Text Tool?
Expression Tool?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

d9ugga

Post by d9ugga » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:00 am

Tnx Peter! I am a first time poster, and I'm also NoteWorthy Composer owner. I downloaded the 2007 free Finale notepad. My goal - to post to several forums melody & accompanying chords. For that purpose I only need a single staff (treble key) or in some cases piano, and ample room to insert the chords. When I choose voice, for example, I get a full page of treble keys. For my purposes I haven't found any other software that is so user-friendly such as NoteWorthy.
Tnx anyway

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:15 am

NotePad has very limited layout features.
From your description it's my guess that you soon will need more layout features than NotePad offers.
I suggest that you download the PrintMusic demo.
The demo is fully functional (can save and print) for 30 days.

PrintMusic can f.x. create grace notes - something that NotePad can't.

Now to your questions:

1. Single staff:
Just delete the measures you don't need.

2. Text:
You can create as many text blocks as you wish, and you can freely use different fonts and font sizes in the text blocks.
Both fonts and sizes will be saved with the file.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996