time signature change within measure

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mgtreejsb

Post by mgtreejsb » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:50 pm

I am using Finale 2006d on a G5 Mac. Is there a way to change the time signature inside a measure?

I am transcribing a Bach chorale with a pick-up measure; he changes the time signature about 2/3 of the way through, then back again before the end. Because of the pick-up, he changes the time signature right before the last note of the measure in both cases.

I have read the help files and looked in my old manuals, but cannot find a way to do this. Even if it only a graphic change, and does not affect the playback, I would like to know if it is possible.

Thanks
Margaret
www.jsbchorales.net

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:45 pm

Use the plug-in Split Measure to split the measure where you need the time signature change.
The plug-in will create two measures that display the original time signature even if their real time signature is different.

To edit the barline of the first measure, use the Measure Tool (double-click the measure).

With the Time Signature Tool you can edit the time signature in each of the two measures independently.

In the dialog box Time Signature you can edit the display time signature independently of the real time signature.
If you don't see an option to edit the display time signature, click the button "More Choices".

You can find the plug-in here:

Plug-In menu > New Plug-Ins for Finale 2006 > Split Measure...

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

mgtreejsb

Post by mgtreejsb » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:10 pm

Thank you Peter,
I used your instructions and it worked (with a bit of trial and error on the settings in the dialog box).

I never would have been able to figure this one out by myself.

Thanks so much.

Margaret