Speedy Entry w/o MIDI Keyboard & Rests

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Holonet

Post by Holonet » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:49 pm

I like speedy entry, but I haven't bothered to hook up my keyboard (not even sure if it would work with Linux hehe), and I don't see how one is supposed to enter rests (aside from those automatically put in at the end of a measure) without hassle. I notice using numbers puts rests in only until I deselect "Use MIDI device for Input." Afterwards, I get notes. I've looked around and tried holding shift, alt, or ctrl while pressing the numbers, but I get nothing. How do I put rests in with speedy entry without having to go up to the silly menu and switch that option every time?

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:47 am

Enter a note and then use the backspace key to change it to a rest. And use the user manual...

Peter
Finale 2009 and 27/German on Windows 10

Holonet

Post by Holonet » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:09 pm

Thank you. I would enjoy the user manual, but since I'm running it in Wine, that doesn't want to work.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:15 pm

Holonet,

The manual for Finale 2008 is in .HTM format, so you should be able to open the files in a web browser.
By default, the manual for Windows Finale 2008 is set to be opened with Internet Explorer, but some users have been able to open the manual in another browser, e. g. Firefox.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

iannis

Post by iannis » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:13 pm

Holonet-

The help system, including the user manual,always opens in Internet Explorer/Safari when launched from Finale 2008. This obviously could create an issue since you are running in Linux. Which browser are you using?

Try creating a bookmark in your preferred browser to Finale's help system. To do this, just follow these steps:

Open your preferred browser. From the browser's File menu, choose "Open File" (or your browser's equivalent).

Locate and select your "Finale.htm" located here:

Win users: C: (or local disk)\ProgramFiles\Finale2008\HelpFiles\Finale.htm
Mac users: [Local HD]\Applications\Finale 2008\Help Files\Finale.htm

Once the manual is open, from your browser's Bookmarks menu, choose "Bookmark this page" (or your browser's equivalent).

Then, whenever you need to use any of Finale's reference material, simply open your browser and choose the Finale 2008 Help bookmark.