How to print system numbers?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

joseluis

Post by joseluis » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi!
I want systems numbers in my score, Finale 2007.

I can see the numbers (in page view) but only with the page layout button pressed. How do I get those numbers permanent and printable? Is there a way to position them farther from the page left edge?

Thank you

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:36 pm

Systems numbers are visible when the page layout tool is selected, but as far as I know, they cannot be printed.
A workaround : create a text expression or a text for each system and position it.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

joseluis

Post by joseluis » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Thank you.

montedoro44
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by montedoro44 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:04 pm

I just stumbled on this ancient thread, hoping to find a built-in procedure for line numbers / system numbers. Here is the easiest way I know, and these instructions are written into the attached example doc:

> Create a text box.
> Type in the counting numbers, each followed by one (or two?) line-feeds (ENTER is line-feed).

> Select all
> press ctrl-shift-period repeatedly until the column of numbers increases character size & column height until it looks close enough.
> right-justify
> If it isn't close enough, you can fine-tune character size and Line-spacing from the Text menu.

It's still a job, but usually doesn't take long to look ok.
Attachments
Line numbers.musx
(103.23 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

Graeme Gilmore
Finale Version: Finale 25.2

Post by Graeme Gilmore » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:01 am

Another way is to use sequential rehearsal numbers (make a duplicate if sequential numbers are already in use in that score -- or make a second Rehearsl Marks Category, which is what I did). Then adjust the positioning to be on the left of the leftmost measure. Using a meta tool, they can be added very quickly and are readily adjusted if an extra system needs to be inserted.

In the case of a single staff to a system I used
Justification: Left
Horizontal Alignment Point: Left Barline
Additional Horizontal Offset: -85
Vertical Alignment Point: Above Staff Baseline
Additional Baseline Offset: -115
Graeme Gilmore

Finale 27.2, Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium, GPO, TGTools, Patterson Plug-Ins, Copyist's Helper, JW Plug-Ins

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:34 am

montedoro44 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:04 pm
> Create a text box.
> Type in the counting numbers, each followed by one (or two?) line-feeds (ENTER is line-feed).
[...]
If the layout changes only slightly after you numbered the staff systems by hand, you'll have to do it over again.

I would suggest the following JWLua script. Select the whole score and run in in the JWLua plugin window:

Code: Select all

local staffsystems = finale.FCStaffSystems()
staffsystems:LoadAll()
local groups = finale.FCGroups()
groups:LoadAll()
c = groups.Count

for ss in each(staffsystems) do
    local g = finale.FCGroup()
    g.StartMeasure = ss.FirstMeasure
    g.EndMeasure = ss.FirstMeasure
    g.StartStaff = finenv.Region().StartStaff
    g.EndStaff = finenv.Region().EndStaff
    local str = finale.FCString()
    c = c+1
    str.LuaString = c
    g:SaveNewFullNameBlock(str)
    g:SaveNewAbbreviatedNameBlock(str)
    g:SaveNew(c)
end
Here is how it works:
  • the script adds a new staff group on each staff system
  • the new group consists of the selection's staves from top to bottom, but spans only the staff system's first measure
  • the group full name as well as the abbreviated name are set to the staff system's number
  • thus, the staff system number is centered between the top and the bottom staff and follows any layout changes
Be sure not to change the number of measures in a staff after running the script.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

montedoro44
Finale Version: 27

Post by montedoro44 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:36 am

Nice to see these other ingenious methods to get line numbers. Maybe some upgrade day, the Finale programmers will add such a routine -- the logic is already there, per the Page Layout tool.

A related task, likely not broadly desired, is to have staff names on both the right & the left sides of the systems. This is for tightly-written pages of say, like quintets. Sometimes when I'm reading in an ensemble, when I switch to the next line (= next system), I forget which voice I'm playing, and so land on the wrong one. All that would be needed for this would be the addition of a 2nd staff name.