hot keys and tranpositions

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bbhmusic

Post by bbhmusic » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Two quick questions

i use Finale 2007. I used to have 2002 and on the simple note entry you could hit numbers to change the note durations and f toggled flats s toggles sharps t toggled ties etc..

Anyway to set 2007 to do that?

AND when working with scores that have tranposing instruments, is there a way to toggle between the concert pitch notes and back to their transposed notes? it would be nice and faster to be able to enter the parts THEN let finale transpose them. Finale should understand this since it will set your score up with the correct keys for transposing instruments.

thx

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:04 pm

In Simple Entry, with the NumLock on, use the numberpad: The numbers select the duration. ALT+the number changes the duration of a selected, entered note. + and - sharp or flat the note. If you're using a laptop, in the Simple menu, there is a selection for a keyboard shortcut set, but an external numberpad is easier.

t will still toggle the ties.

I don't know about #2.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:27 pm

1) You can customize the Simple Entry Tool's keyboard shortcuts:
Simple menu > Simple Entry Options > Edit Keyboard Shortcuts...

By The Way:
There have been many changes in Finale since Finale 2002.
I recommend that you do the tutorials.
For the Simple Entry Tool in Finale 2007 I recommend the tutorial document "EntryExercise.MUS".

2) To toggle between Written Pitch and Concert Pitch:
Document menu > Display in Concert Pitch

Finale does not by default have a keyboard shortcut for "Display in Concert Pitch", but you can yourself add a "Display in Concert Pitch" keyboard shortcut.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996