PrintMusic writing music itself!

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jbarton2

Post by jbarton2 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:55 pm

:oops:
I installed printmusic and had success the first time I set-up my midi and played. It wrote the music correctly. The second time it didn't respond at all. Now the program writes random music even with the midi usb unplugged and me writing music using the mouse. If I stop writing it takes over and will write up to 4 or more measures of random notes. What is up?? I have two problems only having used this program 3 times!! I am quite frustrated. Can anyone explain to me what I need to do to solve either of both problems?

Thanks
Jared

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:49 am

I have no idea! Have you DEselected Simple Menu>USe MIDI device for input?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

TWW
Finale Version: 26.1 PC
Operating System: Windows

Post by TWW » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:29 am

It almost sounds like the MIDI interface is sharing an interrupt with the mouse, or something weird like that. But before we worry about that (the solution to which would be beyond my over-the-forum capabilities), let's try a few questions to narrow it down a bit.

(1) What input method did you use with MIDI -- HyperScribe, Simple, or Speedy? (And even Simple has two input sub-methods -- Mouse and Caret. Carat. Carrot. Whatever.)

(2) Same question after you disconnected the MIDI input.

(3) What is your MIDI interface? Some of them (like the Uno) have chronic problems.
-Tom Williams
Finale 26.1, Finale 2012

jbarton2

Post by jbarton2 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:18 pm

Ok. Figured out one problem. When I disconnected the piano from the midi cable I figured I wouldn't have the micnotator picking up any signal at all. Apparently when I played my guitar sitting at the computer working out a melody the signal was either picked up somehow thru the live midi cable or thru a mic somewhere on my computer I don't know about. Anyways, whenever I struck a note on my guitar the software tried to figure out what it was and began writing erroneous notes. Once I turned off the micnotator the problem cleared up. Thanks for the help. Now I just need to get the midi to receive the signal from the keyboard.

:)