Hide or Remove 'Default' Whole Rests in "Unused" M

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Earl

Post by Earl » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:14 pm

Greetings all:

I'm notating my first Finale project. This is a piano piece where I'm using cross staff beaming for about two thirds of the piece. I've got that working fine but Finale continues to place whole rests in the bass clef, where I've moved notes that are beamed to notes in the treble clef.

I tried hiding the rests but couldn't get it to work, they still printed.

I've heard of a feature to turn off default rests but I can't find it in the tutorial book index or the manual index, nor by scanning through the pulldown menus.

I'm assuming this is what I want to do to get rid of the rests. Is there another way? I've also heard of a way to tell Finale not to make sure there are the right number of notes/rests in a measure. Is that what I want?

I promise to faithfully go through all the tutorials as soon as I can if you'll answer this one question!! :wink:

Thanks everyone!

Earl

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:14 pm

Hi Earl,
you will find an option to uncheck these rests in the staff system attributes. I have a German Version, so I can only translate. It must be like "fill empty measures with rests" or so. Hope you will find it.
If you want these rests for a big part of your file you could work with staff styles or hide single rests by first producing "real rests" which means you create a (whole rest) by entering the correct number (and change the note to a rest if necessary). Then you can hide this rests (and also notes if you want) by clicking "O" or "H" using the speedy entry.

Hope this is helpful for you
Peter

Earl

Post by Earl » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:45 pm

Thanks Peter for responding so quickly.

I'm at work so I'll have to wait until I get home to try it. Hopefully I can locate Staff System Attributes. (I just started using Finale, I don't know where anything is except the obvious things in the visible toolbars.)

Thanks again!!

Earl